Fresh water tank

Joel Sheriff

Curious about suggestions if any to clean and sanitize fresh water tank.  I've had this rig 12 years and flushed it once but never sanitized with bleach or anything.  I add about 2ozs clorox to every second or third filling just enough but not enough to get the clorine taste and odor.  Water seems fresh and clear, as it goes through a primary filter and a carbon filter.  Thoughts, TIA

Merry Christmas and Happy Chanukah to all from Joanee and I to all my Monacoers family. 

Joel,

I have sanitized my fresh water tank only once and that was right after purchasing the coach back in 2003. Since I was a Full-Time RV'er at the time I have not done it again. I have flushed it out a few times but I like your idea of adding a small amount of bleach to the tank every so often.

Now that I am a Part-Time RV'er I will start to do that most likely once a year as I use the water from the tank routinely so it doesn't reallysit in there for too long.

At least once a year, I drain mine and fill w fresh water and bleach and drive around.  Then I run each faucet til I can smell bleach from each outlet.  Let it sit overnight, drain and refill the fresh tank, flush the lines for a while, etc...  We rarely boondock so we keep some water for flushing and hand washing en route, but drink bottled water.  Once on city water,  we drink and use it.  

On 12/21/2019 at 3:51 PM, Joel Sheriff said:

Curious about suggestions if any to clean and sanitize fresh water tank.  I've had this rig 12 years and flushed it once but never sanitized with bleach or anything.  I add about 2ozs clorox to every second or third filling just enough but not enough to get the clorine taste and odor.  Water seems fresh and clear, as it goes through a primary filter and a carbon filter.  Thoughts, TIA

Merry Christmas and Happy Chanukah to all from Joanee and I to all my Monacoers family. 

I sanitized my fresh water system only twice, (once in '02 and once in '16), and we use tank water for everything unless we have a campground water hookup.

I am not FT, other than working.  Our coach stays in storage til we use it for tailgates and vacations and short weekend trips.