Replace Shock 2005 Windsor 38PDQ

Guest azlein

Guest azlein

I want to replace the shocks with Bilstein but when I go online the shock they say to use with a Windsor has an eye connection on the top and bottom.  The ones on my rig has an eye on the bottom and a bolt on the top.  Not sure how to proceed.  Any one dealt with this before?

Thanks so much

Ken

The sheet that was supplied to me when I purchased the RV new, listed s/n and mfg of almost everything, including shocks. I'm looking to replace mine. I used an excellent alignment and frame company in Orlando Fl that recommended Koni Shocks (the company does not sell tires but can suggest changes and give reasons why). I contacted Koni directly and they asked the model, year and model. They asked if there were eye or nut at the top. They have the shocks I need.  Clearly a difference, and I'm not sure I want to lay on my back to replace them. I'm not familiar with Bilstein shocks. Good luck

I bought from Source Engineering-they have bilstiens that are special made for our coaches( they actually change the valving in the shocks to give better control and ride. They have front and rear sway bars along with additional pieces for our Monacos. I changed my shocks without removing the wheels. There is a tool made to hold the top of the shock shaft while you tighten the nut but I couldn't find one so I made a tool to fit. I took a 8mm open-end wrench, heated red hot and bent it 90 degrees-made the job doable-good luck

• 2 weeks later...
Guest azlein

Update - I took off the old shocks and they were Monroe 557034 and 557035 (all shot).  After searching the web I found a few sites that pointed me to the Bilstein shocks that were made for the RR8R chassis (24-186605 and 24-186612).  Not sure how that all happened, now wondering if my Windsor has an RR8R chassis.  Purchased and installed with minimum effort.  Thanks for all your help!!

On 7/18/2020 at 4:12 PM, Blacknight said:

I bought from Source Engineering-they have bilstiens that are special made for our coaches( they actually change the valving in the shocks to give better control and ride. They have front and rear sway bars along with additional pieces for our Monacos. I changed my shocks without removing the wheels. There is a tool made to hold the top of the shock shaft while you tighten the nut but I couldn't find one so I made a tool to fit. I took a 8mm open-end wrench, heated red hot and bent it 90 degrees-made the job doable-good luck

Why did you bend the 8mm wrench.

Azlein, I used those numbers on mine (‘05 Windsor) but found the same problem as you.  Those numbers match up to the RR8R numbers, but we do have the RR8S chassis.  The “S” and “R”  refer to the Side and Rear radiators on the Roadmaster chassis.  But, we have the bolt and eye shocks as used on the “R”!

Edited by David White

On 8/1/2020 at 11:56 AM, Fred L said:

Why did you bend the 8mm wrench.

Fred L- I bent the wrench to hold the shock shaft stable while i tightened the mounting nut. unless the shaft is held in place it spins freely and the nut will never torque in place. They make a tool like a socket with an 8mm slot but i could never find one. I did not remove the wheels to change the shocks so doing that may make it easier.

I understand to hold the upright shaft still while you turn the nut. Is there not enough room to have the wrench straight out so that it does not interfere with the nut. I'm not foreign to this stuff and appreciate what you did, just trying to figure out why? Was this just for the back that is in tighter quarters?  Planning on this next month. Haven't decided on Koni's or Bilstein shocks..Thanks for your comments

Fred L-im an old guy and in order the change the shocks at ride height without removing the wheels i laid on my back and had a friend shove a wedge under my shoulders to enable my arms to reach he top of the shocks. that said, I used a ratchet box wrench to tighten the nut. The bent wrench came in handy as i was able to put one finger on the bent wrench holding it in place( and with the 90 degree bend it would contact the shock bracket and keep it from rotating) and another finger on the boxed end of the wrench tightening the shock nut. I bought the bilsteins as they were part of source rv's kit. The kit changed the handling of the coach a great deal. Im installing the Watt's link next to tighten the front of the coach.