Sign in to follow this  
Scotty Hutto

Monacoers Daily Digest

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/134-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website. Note: You MUST be signed in to the site to view or respond to posts  

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

Roof AC high current
Bob Nodine
SiriusXM antenna replacement
Bob Nodine
Monaco and HR twins
daleleahrv
laurice@email.com
Monaco and HR twins
throgmartin
Monaco and HR twins
blahargoue
Monaco and HR twins
jacwjames
Monaco and HR twins
rudisill99
Monaco and HR twins
Larry H
Chassis battery replacements Canada/US
markcalgary
Penquin AC Unit Availability
Perpendicular
throgmartin
Intellitec model 750 distribution panel
stillrunning_60@hotmail.com
Aqua Hot rebuild
gburgman2000
Vilsis-Coach
whugh35
A/C dash resistor
powersltc
A/C dash resistor
Tom Cherry
Tom Cherry
A/C dash resistor
powersltc
A/C dash resistor
Frank McElroy
A/C dash resistor
Tom Cherry
laurice@email.com
A/C dash resistor
powersltc
Tom Cherry

Roof AC high current
Bob Nodine
7 hours ago, amphi_sc said:

As a closing follow up ...

Recall that the problem unit was the front A/C heat pump ( 15k unit ).  As everyone knows, a lot of heat comes in the windshield even with shades and coverings.  After swapping pieces with the identical center unit (leaving bedroom unit untouched) essentially I now have a front unit that does not trip the breaker after running continuously for hours and hours, and the center unit also functions, but evidently as the heat load is less on that unit, it will cycle off and on giving it a rest which I guess gives it the chance to "cool off" the compressor ... which it never had the opportunity as the front unit.  So today again 100+ outside, full sun, and a West-NW facing parking location with hot windshield sun, all three units did not trip any internal breakers, but current draw was getting up there running close to 18-19 amps identically on the 3 units when they are in the worst heat of the day. They all start off about 14 amps as it starts to get warm from the cool night. My Hughes Auto former was in the circuit this time but in pass through mode, so was only getting the minimal 2% boost as unboosted voltage is rock solid at 120V. A few weeks ago I was here essentially under the same conditions with rock solid unboosted 120V, and the "original" front unit configuration would trip after running continuously for 2-3 hours. I don't think the booster is really a factor...I've just been too lazy to unplug it (internally mounted) as in a week I'll be at a campground well known for low voltage, but at least more shade and only in the low 90's.

Anyway, just fyi

Sounds like the middle unit has more head pressure than the other two units. Could be a dirty or partially blocked condenser. Did you remove the cover and spray down the condenser with a cleaning solution and hose it off while you had the unit out?

Bob Nodine
16 hours ago, laurice@email.com said:

Thank you Moe and Adam.  Most helpful.  Suddenly my weekend project is not as big as I was expected.  Thanks again, much appreciated

Laurice 

On our 2006 Diplomat I have installed Sirius XM and GPS antennas by removing the left A-pillar and the speaker just above the A-pillar. Removing the speaker allows you to reach up into the cavity and fish the cable down to the A-pillar area and from there you route it into the dash.

1 minute ago, Bob Nodine said:

On our 2006 Diplomat I have installed Sirius XM and GPS antennas by removing the left A-pillar and the speaker just above the A-pillar. Removing the speaker allows you to reach up into the cavity and fish the cable down to the A-pillar area and from there you route it into the dash.

Monaco and HR twins
daleleahrv

JDStew

I have owned both an Executive (2001) and an HR Navigator (2003).  I can confirm that they are virtually identical.  Not sure about the better woodwork comment, They came off the same assembly line in Coburg OR. (along with the Signature), and I could not tell the difference between woodwork quality on my 2 rigs.  Both were Cherry wood.

A few items on the wiring diagram referred to options only available on the Signature.  (They had to do something to justify the higher price of the Sig.)

Thanks for the excellent list.

Dale

laurice@email.com

Thanks Bob

Looks like I've got my work cut out for me this weekend.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Laurice 

Monaco and HR twins
throgmartin

Ed:

I can tell you without a doubt the Ambassador and Knights are identical. The only difference is in the front and rear caps and interior fabrics and colors.

Both - the Ambassadors and Knights shared the same exact floor plans, same engine, tranny, RR8R chassis, interior appointments, awnings, slide topper assemblies, etc.

and options.

Monaco and HR twins
blahargoue
On 7/26/2020 at 3:04 PM, Gary M said:

I believe the Ambassador is equal to the Knight. Endeavor and Diplomat are equal.

Pretty sure but not positive. 
Found this on the internet!

Only 7 compared to 8 Monaco’s

Holiday Rambler Pecking Order

• Navigator
  • Imperial
  • Scepter
  • Endeavor SE
  • Endeavor
  • Ambassador
  • Neptune
  • Monaco Pecking Order

Signature

Executive

Dynasty

Windsor

Camelot

Diplomat

Knight

Cayman

And you can add the Monaco LaPalma and it's equivalent HR Vacationer to the bottom of the list.  They had diesel pusher models between 2006 and 2009.

Bruce LaHargoue

Monaco and HR twins
jacwjames

Agree on the woodworking, I think at least the higher end coaches all had comparable quality.  The higher end Beavers were unique in the multiple species of wood on the raise panel doors.    I do some wood working and the fit and finish on my Windsor is very good.   I've got Walnut, really looks good. 

Monaco and HR twins
rudisill99
23 hours ago, JDStew said:

Here's some notes I've been gathering about model comparisons across the Monaco brands.

I do know that Monaco would include higher brand features down the line (Camelot got some Dynasty features with new model years).

I attached the image of the comparison table. I'm not easily able to paste the table or image of table.

Screen Shot 2020-07-30 at 10.21.36 AM.png

A correction re: Beavers. The Beaver Santiam was the same coach as the Diplomat. The Monterey was somewhere between the Camelot and the Windsor. 

We were fulltimers in both those Beaver models over the course of 13 years.

-- 

Dave Rudisill

Monaco and HR twins
Larry H

Thanks to all for some really good answers. Have always been curious about this.

Cruzbill

I wouldn't worry about warranty issues with a chassis battery. My (USA) Cat dealer replaced ours with a CAT branded battery, about a $300 investment. Enjoy your move!

markcalgary

Once the chassis batteries are replaced , then the house batteries are next.   Any thoughts in that regard.  I will need to replace before the trip down.  The idea of a truck OEM is smart  for the chassis batteries....hadn’t thought of that.

Thanks

Mark

Perpendicular

Has anyone seen any availability of the Penguin's yet? My front unit runs for 5 minutes and then shuts off for 5 minutes and then kicks back on again. In Texas, that isn't very comfortable unfortunately so I have been tasked with getting this done soon 😕

I would rather pay the normal price from a vendor and support their business if at all possible.  

On 7/24/2020 at 7:27 AM, rpasetto said:

I tried two months ago.  None had the correct PenguinII for my ducted system.    Got a Blizzard from Tweetys; they seem to be readily available... it's a few inches higher but cools well.

How does it look compared to the low profile Penguin's? Did you have to add a thermostat, or modify anything to use your current setup?

UPDATE - found a Penguin II semi local - dealer selling on eBay.  $1300 shipped with control board to utilize my 5 button. 

Now I just have to plan the install.... 😕

Ivan K

There is a NAPA store in Edmonton where you can get their 12 and 6v batteries that should have warranty at any Napa store across the border, I assume but to be confirmed with them.

Cruzbill

Costco (USA) has 6v GC2 house batteries. My set of 4 are on year 3, so no complaints. About $95 ea, US. 

throgmartin

Glad you could find the unit.

If you still have the issue with the new one then the problem could by in your intellitec system.

We have 2 new Penguin II 15,000 units with heat pumps now in stock. These are for pickup only at our Brooksville, FL  location. I did not want to post these on our online store front until I gave everyone a chance here first. If interested call my director, Amy at - 352-942-2653.

My A/C breaker has cooked the busbar on my 50 amp panel.  Have called different places including Intellitec and M&M Electronics but no help. All say the busbar cannot be purchased separate. Intellitec says the guts of the panel are the same as square D or Murray but those distributors say the same thing. I have called Visone rv salvage to see if they have a used panel but they have not replied. I hate to have to buy a complete panel just to get the busbar. Anyone have any suggestions. Larry

0343D2B2-AAFF-466C-9D5C-38FE7B2E5EB5.thumb.jpeg.d11b6860c14c84955b90933ccfd05d13.jpeg

Aqua Hot rebuild
gburgman2000

Got the unit back form CO, I have yet to get back to it, doing stick and brick updates currently.

20200724_152341.jpg

20200724_152535.jpg

Dr4Film

How do you plan on replacing just the bus bar if all of the suppliers are saying that you need to replace the panel? It looks to me like it is riveted to the panel with fairly large strong rivets.

Unless you can Jerry-rigged one together in the same place. Have you checked any electrical supply vendors? There is one in Dansville NY where I am staying which I had to go to when I first arrived as I had left my 40 amp to 50 amp converter box back home in Florida. So I went out and purchased everything needed to install a permanent 50 amp receptacle at my brothers main electrical panel in his barn instead of using his 40 amp welder connection. I can check there the next time I go down the hill to town.

What caused the AC to melt the bus bar in the first place?

Vilsis-Coach

Seek you this: I have a brand-new Intelitec 12V Multiplex Fet Output Module P/N00-00844-1201905971792_0731201108_Burst011.thumb.jpg.eb036948e14ac9a17f3842728adcc63e.jpg534806476_0731201111_Burst011.thumb.jpg.edf8ea98ced22741511769de0e3ecfb5.jpg

I am not sure about what caused the fused to burn out but the ac repair person feels the breaker  was not fitting the bar tight enough and vibration over time caused it to become loose and draw to much voltage. He has checked the ac unit and feels nothing is wrong there.

whugh35

I have 2 new Penguin II 15,000 w/o heat pump (641816C).  New in box was planning to install but have decided not to.  $960 each + you pay shipping.   I'm close to Atlanta.

Dennis H

I doubt you'll find a replacement due to liability issues. i.e. incorrect installation and electricity = possible fire hazard. That said, replacing the entire unit is neither difficult nor overly expensive. I'd simply pull it out and replace it. Make sure the coach is unplugged and disconnect both battery banks.....Dennis

Dr4Film
1 hour ago, stillrunning_60@hotmail.com said:

I am not sure about what caused the fused to burn out but the ac repair person feels the breaker  was not fitting the bar tight enough and vibration over time caused it to become loose and draw to much voltage. He has checked the ac unit and feels nothing is wrong there.

Your specific situation supports the recommendation by this group to check connections minimally once a year to ensure that road vibrations have not loosen something that could cause a major short and/or fire sometime later.

Yes replacing the entire panel with another panel is the way I am going.  Scott, our webmaster, had another 750 panel and is sending it to me.  I will let  everyone know how that goes. Thanks everyone.

A/C dash resistor
powersltc

Ron P.

2004 Monaco Executive 

I believe I need a resistor replaced in my 2004 Monaco Executive.   Has anyone had this problem and can tell me the location of the blower motor/resistor in the 2004 Monaco Executive?

Also, do you have a source and part number for the resistor?

Thanks. 

Ron P.

2004 Monaco Executive 

Tom Cherry
2 hours ago, stillrunning_60@hotmail.com said:

Yes replacing the entire panel with another panel is the way I am going.  Scott, our webmaster, had another 750 panel and is sending it to me.  I will let  everyone know how that goes. Thanks everyone.

Great that you have a replacement.  I DO not think that your Windsor had the funky "Hybrid Multiplex" lighting system that my Camelot has.  M M Electronics advises that many of the panels like mine are "breaking down" and need to have new "Guts".  I assumed that was the load shedding PCB and such....and NOT the main panel.

I need to go back into mine.  I have done the PM, but I don't know if I got every connection.

YES....we all need to do that...

Hope this works out for you.  IF you have issues and it is NOT plug and play, then M M IS the Tech Support for Intellitec.  They are great at trying to help you.  I agree with the comments about replacing a riveted buss.  You would never be safe as that is a factory installed and "non serviceable" portion.  

You can sleep easier with a new panel....Good Luck and thanks to Scotty....

A/C dash resistor
Tom Cherry
1 hour ago, powersltc said:

Ron P.

2004 Monaco Executive 

I believe I need a resistor replaced in my 2004 Monaco Executive.   Has anyone had this problem and can tell me the location of the blower motor/resistor in the 2004 Monaco Executive?

Also, do you have a source and part number for the resistor?

Thanks. 

Ron P.

2004 Monaco Executive 

Ron,

Go to the DOWNLOADS section.  You will find, on the RIGHT side....the PARTS LIST.  

DOWNLOAD THIS.  You MUST save it as a PDF and get it on your computer.  Wherever you want it.

NOW....once you see it (or the icon if you put it on your desktop like all the old timers do....

OPEN it with your Adobe Reader.

THEN go to the EDIT tab at the top.

The DROP DOWN will have a FIND (magnifying glass).  This is the BEST tool there is....

Type in resistor....

BINGO...that takes you to page 48.  Someone wrote a story....just for you.  IT has info on the PN, WHERE and HOW to get into it.....  That is one of the best writeups I have seen.  It is also for a 2004 Signature.  You lucked out.....

Good Luck....

Tom Cherry

Comment for you.  GO on the ROOF.  You should see the XM (or Siris) antenna.  It is a SQUARE section.  Monaco used a GROUND PLANE or plate for the later models.  I THINK that mine is just a SS plate....or maybe just plain steel.  It is glued or caulked in place.  The antenna is the standard Magnetic XM antenna.  There are adapters on the internet so that you can use the plug in or there is a plug in that adapts to a Coax connector.

I have installed these before and had one permanently on my old Winnebago.  I might have used some 16 gage galvanized and then put down an X bead of caulk.  I then seated the plate over that.  I drilled a small hole for the antenna connector and fed it in.  I MIGHT have put on a Grommet.  I then "caulked" it like you would not believe.  That was my "shadetree" install for the Winnie.  The Camelot came with an XM adapter.  I took it out.  BINGO....it was the SAME connection as my portable MyFI Delco unit.  SO, I just plugged it in.

I DID look at what Monaco did.  They used a plate (think of a diamond).  One Corner was pointed to the front and the other to the back.  So it was used as the Ground Plane.  Then they caulked in the whole thing.  They caulked around the magnetic base and the hole...

Good Luck

A/C dash resistor
powersltc

Ron P.

2004 Monaco Executive 

Hello Tom.

Not sure where the download section is located.   Please advise. 

Ron P.

Tom Cherry
On 7/30/2020 at 3:17 PM, markcalgary said:

Hi.... moving from Calgary to Houston expect to be there for 2-4 years.... MH needs new chassis batteries...... looking for a battery That I can buy in Canada that will have warranty in the USA....Thoughts?

Thanks

Mark

Calgary AB Canada

2002 Monaco Diplomat

Alive and well 

The gold standard for batteries....at least for those of us that test and exercise and maintain them is the Trojan T-105.  That is the GC2 battery group.  They run, in the US, about $105 - $120.  They will outlast anything....including the OEM Interstate.  

I have talked to on of the Senior Electronic Techs that spend 15 or so years at Lazy Days.  He relocated to NC and was working for my buddy, who was the GM of a HR dealership.  He said that when folks let their batteries run down and came in...  He would tell them (or the service writer) that if they were Interstates.....that it would be cheaper to replace with Trojans rather than spend the money for refilling and recharging (the Tech's labor).  He said that typically, maybe 20% of the Interstates would work.....but the other 80% came back for the Trojans.  However his success rate on the Trojans was 90% or so.

I would find the Trojans and put them in.  OR.....see if I could make do and then purchase in the US...

I purchased an Interstate COSTCO.  It was a few dollars cheaper and I needed to replace one of my Golf Cart batteries just to sell it.  The battery was rated far lower and it was not as heavy.  SO BEWARE.  Check the weight and the specs on any cheaper battery and then compare to the Trojans....

A/C dash resistor
Frank McElroy

Go to Browse - select Downloads - select Categories - Parts List is on top.  Here is a link.

https://www.monacoers.org/files/category/16-parts-list/

A/C dash resistor
Tom Cherry
14 minutes ago, powersltc said:

Ron P.

2004 Monaco Executive 

Hello Tom.

Ron P.

It is on the MAIN or HOME page.  Look for the BROWSE word....and the main page has Bill D's Motor Home in the picture.

The tool bar or tab undeneath it.  It  has tabs or drop downs.  

Downloads is the fourth one (L to Right).  Click on it....then follow the instructions that I gave you.

laurice@email.com

Thanks Tom

Great information.  Will check this out tomorrow. Last time I was up there and discovered that the original antenna was damaged I don’t recall seeing a ground plane but I could wrong.  
Thanks again

Laurice

A/C dash resistor
powersltc

Ron P.

2004 Monaco Executive 

Hello Tom.

Ron P.

Thanks.  Got it.

Tom Cherry
1 hour ago, laurice@email.com said:

Thanks Tom

Great information.  Will check this out tomorrow. Last time I was up there and discovered that the original antenna was damaged I don’t recall seeing a ground plane but I could wrong.  
Thanks again

Laurice

https://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=K332&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=k332&gclid=Cj0KCQjwgo_5BRDuARIsADDEntR1pMMKbK2YYoIxYcUOKuEXfIsXorkXyZuw1TNZVKpc6NxCzMejKHwaAk3TEALw_wcB

Do some googling.  My recall is that I have about a 6" square plate.  Metal unknown.  THe whole plate is covered with caulk, but the black "Beetle" antenna is stuck to it.  The above is for the same antenna.  You have an access hole in the top.

You can also buy a trucker's XM antenna.  That is like a small dome on a post.  It has a 3" base for the reflectivity.

Bottom line....you need a GROUND plain (plane?) on a fiberglass surface.  Same as a CB or other antenna.  Matters not the metal.  a thin piece of sheet metal work.  SS, (typically 304) will also work.  If you use aluminum, then you are depending on the adhesive.  So, I would go for galvanized or 304.  The Dicor Lap Seal (self leveling works well and spreads out.

If you have the upright style (dome with post), then the ground plane was built in.  But if you want to use the magnetic beetle, that works fine.  XM is persnickity.  I loose it in the car all the time when the trees are in full foliage and especially if wet.  I rarely lose it in the MH.  Don't know if the more expensive dome or dish type are better or now.  I have used the magnetics for years....and then put them in permanently for the MH.  I had a plate that I put on the front dash of my Vette.  Again, it was SS with a black piece of Duct Tape to prevent glare.  I had great XM reception from it.

https://www.amazon.com/XM-Interoperable-Magnetic-Satellite-Antenna/dp/B01H5D0I1A/ref=asc_df_B01H5D0I1A/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309807586683&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15891754408463982562&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9009731&hvtargid=pla-570357881701&psc=1

If the link breaks....go to Amazon.  Put in XM Magnetic antenna.  $19 or so.  That is what Monaco used on the 2009 Camelot.....with the ground plane...

Good luck... 

CoachStep REPAIR INFORMATION - FIXED - MOTOR
amphi_sc

A few years ago I replaced my original motor (when I got tired of tapping it with a hammer to get the armature to make contact) with a power window motor from a 86-95 Taurus/Sable ... AutoZone (Doorman) 742-277 with a lifetime warranty.  About a year later I replaced that under warranty.  A few months later that started to skip internally (plastic case and I assume pressed plastic internal gear).  A few months later the next replacement started doing the same thing.  All made in China.🙄 but what isn't these days...  If just gave the step a little boost from the outside when closing, I would retract fine.  Going out was never a problem with these Chinese replacements.  So I decided to add a spring assist.  9 inch spring about 2 lbs force.  Works again.  The spring gives it a little assist getting started on the retract.  Not sure if I'll go to the bother of another AutoZone warranty claim until it quits again, but at least AutoZone is easy to find across the country . I think the Chinese use to much plastic!

Anyway, some pictures of the installed spring ... FYI

We like the original flat step to walk in/out from any angle, the other steps with the side lips/raised edges would be a safety hazard tripping us!  Happened several times with a Country Coach with that design. And other steps just don't feel anywhere as solid to walk on.  YMMV

IMG_20200731_094824.jpg

IMG_20200731_094743.jpg

New Downloads Available

2009 Dynasty Owners Manual
2009 Dynasty Owners Manual
2009 Monaco Dynasty Owners Manual.
0 comments
Onan Hybrid - Electrical System
Onan Hybrid - Electrical System
Onan Hybrid Quiet Diesel Electrical System - Owners Manual Addendum.
0 comments

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.