Nothing Works

gwtkcobb

Well...good news...son and wife went to the local state park and plugged the moho in and nothing...however, son played with salesman switch, clicking it on and off several times, and waa-laa...everything came to life.  Now, how to  bypass that darn thing...

TWO CHOICES....HIRE SOMEONE TO REMOVE IT AND NOT REPLACE IT.  Less than half an hour's job.  Typically you pay for an hour for a service call.

Second....Take Pictures of where the electrical stuff with the big RED cables are.  Post them.  Someone SHOULD identify it for you.  I don't have the same year or I would.

The Salesman's Solenoid is a big "Thingie" what a metal can and a black top .  It will have TWO large Red Cables and two small wires.  The larger cables are connected to the studs.

If you take off the nuts, you can put a NAPA Jumper across the terminals.  This then Bypasses the Relay.

NAPA 781144 is the NAPA Part number.  Costs $7 or so.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/search?text=781144&referer=semantic&se=1

There will be TWO of these large relays on the Motor Home.  The smaller one is the Salesman's relay.  it will be marked and rated or have maybe say 80 or 100 Amps.  The OTHER one, which is Larger, will say or be rated at 200 Amps.

You need to take pictures and have someone help you make sure WHICH is the Salesman's Switch.  Then Disconnect the HOUSE battery (at the battery post) and then remove the two nuts and put this across the two large studs.....that makes a circuit across them.  That is the way it is done.

You MIGHT google BYPASSING THE SALESMANS SWITCH  Monaco and find a YouTube video.  In the picture, the individual took off the short cable on the RIGHT and put the NAPA Jumper to the other side.  The simple thing is to leave both cables ON and then put the Jumper on the terminals.....

Hope this helps.  Any good Automotive tech or mechanic should be able to do this.  This ain't ROCKET science...

Good Luck....

How do I bypass the “salesman's switch”?? - iRV2 Forums

2 hours ago, gwtkcobb said:

Well...good news...son and wife went to the local state park and plugged the moho in and nothing...however, son played with salesman switch, clicking it on and off several times, and waa-laa...everything came to life.  Now, how to  bypass that darn thing...

The Salesman Switch and relay only control 12 VDC stuff. It has nothing to do with any of the 120 VAC stuff once you plug into a 120 VAC Power Pedestal. You did not state whether you had any 120 VAC outlets, microwave and other 120 VAC power working or not. Please check and post again.

3 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

The Salesman Switch and relay only control 12 VDC stuff. It has nothing to do with any of the 120 VAC stuff once you plug into a 120 VAC Power Pedestal. You did not state whether you had any 120 VAC outlets, microwave and other 120 VAC power working or not. Please check and post again.

Actually, Richard, he did tell us that....sort of.....  He said in a post a long time ago in a land that seemed far away....

Microwave blinks.  Many folks asked, repeatedly, WHAT WAS NOT WORKING.  The "Microwave" blinking was the ONLY thing that was responded to.  The Genny cranked.  The guys that know his rig said that the "lights and indicator panels" LOOKED OK.  We asked for him to test the interior outlets....but that was never done.

His post today is the FIRST time that he answered the question...  Do you have interior lights.

All I can glean....is that when he said NOTHING works....he really meant that he had no interior lights.

SO....that is as good as it gets.  We can NOT fix something when information is not provided or simple questions are disregarded....

This really sort of closes it out.....and if there are still issues....then , unless we get facts and info and answers, it will be a dead thread....as in it will be closed due to lack of information.  Many folks have tried to help and it is frustrating when a simple question goes unanswered.....

Tom, the microwave could "blink" with Inverter power but that's if he has one AND it was turned on. The microwave alone is not necessarily an indication that he has complete 120 VAC power.

Just saying because there has been a big lack of good information to say what is and what is not.

3 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

Tom, the microwave could "blink" with Inverter power but that's if he has one AND it was turned on. The microwave alone is not necessarily an indication that he has complete 120 VAC power.

Just saying because there has been a big lack of good information to say what is and what is not.

yes, that is true.  He never would say if his son tested any of the outlets or tried the Microwave.  This "NOTHING WORK" finally morphed into no LIGHTS as he talked about cycling the switch at the door several times.  

I agree that this type of post and the lack of response is really frustrating and it turns off a lot of folks that could have helped and actually reached out to him.

We moderators walk a tight rope when we specifically request information and there is no response or the answer is totally useless.

In the OLD Yahoo, Colonel Bill and Fred have shut down such.  I debated after a lot of trying to help as to whether to just close and lock this.

My frustration is high....and since the OP has health issues, I tried to bend over and help him out.

Unless he posts again....I may just close it out and use this post as the reason.  Everyone tried and there was not an equal effort to supply into.  Debating it now and trying to rehash it is a waste.  

My suggestion for everyone involved is to take this OFFLINE.  If you want to help or are curious, then PM the original poster and work with him.  IF you get meaningful info or an explanation, them PM me and I will post it.  

Otherwise, it seems totally useless ....NOW.

Thanks...

All I can say is that nothing (nothing meaning all inclusive, except the microwave light and fan) worked either on battery/generator or shore power until my son fiddled with the salesman switch.  He did not fiddle with the switch until he had plugged into shore power, then everything worked.  This morning after disconnecting from shore power and was on batt/geny he needed to fiddle with the switch and things worked. 

I am sorry that reply's and info are sparse; however, I am not able to go to the moho and therefore rely on my son(s) to relay the info wanted.  They know pretty much nothing when it comes to any of this and get extremely frustrated when asked to look at/find something they know nothing about.  

Tom Cherry, so sorry you feel as you do.  We are trying to do the best we can...I cannot help it if we're (especially my son) not electrically tech savvy...and it would be a lot different if I was able to get to the MOHO.  

Richard Smith, if the salesman switch only is for DC, then why did things not work when connected to shore power until he fiddled with the switch?  If it's really not the switch then what might it be?

No, we may not be able to fix the problem but to have it narrowed down it won't take a tech so much time to figure it out and hopefully save me some money.  I've done the best I could in giving info, considering my circumstances...my son is doing the best he can as well.  I (we) do greatly appreciate  all the help thus far from all those who are patiently trying to help.

Attached are photos of the panel under the driver's window...for what worth they may be.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

4 minutes ago, gwtkcobb said:

All I can say is that nothing (nothing meaning all inclusive, except the microwave light and fan) worked either on battery/generator or shore power until my son fiddled with the salesman switch.  He did not fiddle with the switch until he had plugged into shore power, then everything worked.  This morning after disconnecting from shore power and was on batt/geny he needed to fiddle with the switch and things worked. 

I am sorry that reply's and info are sparse; however, I am not able to go to the moho and therefore rely on my son(s) to relay the info wanted.  They know pretty much nothing when it comes to any of this and get extremely frustrated when asked to look at/find something they know nothing about.  

Tom Cherry, so sorry you feel as you do.  We are trying to do the best we can...I cannot help it if we're (especially my son) not electrically tech savvy...and it would be a lot different if I was able to get to the MOHO.  

Richard Smith, if the salesman switch only is for DC, then why did things not work when connected to shore power until he fiddled with the switch?  If it's really not the switch then what might it be?

No, we may not be able to fix the problem but to have it narrowed down it won't take a tech so much time to figure it out and hopefully save me some money.  I've done the best I could in giving info, considering my circumstances...my son is doing the best he can as well.  I (we) do greatly appreciate  all the help thus far from all those who are patiently trying to help.

Attached are photos of the panel under the driver's window...for what worth they may be.

THIS IS FROM TOM....as well as the opinions of some other Moderators....as we have discussed and debated what to do....

First and Foremost, the intent of this site is to help people.  We have many folks that are willing, and have contributed to that.

Your first post was what we call an "EMERGENCY" or DEAD IN THE WATER.  That got it moving....

You were asked by me as well as others for specific information.  We asked for what you meant by NOTHING works.  We even gave you some questions to ask.  These were not things that you needed to have an electrician perform.  Simple things that could be done with only a plug in lamp or even a  phone charger.  You never responded to them...or maybe I missed it.  You said you son was snot electrically inclined and due to your health, you could not do them.  They were, for the record...

When the Generator is RUNNING.....do you have 120 VAC (plug in power) to all your receptacles inside the Motor Home.  You could plug in a cell phone and see it if was charging or use a plug in light or a small fan or anything that required power.  You  replied that the "Microwave" light was blinking.

Do you have 12 Volt or overhead lights.  You never responded to that.  So we were still without information.

If I have misread or misstaed the above, then I apologize.  

The issue, which I think you can understand is that we try to help folks that are wiling provide information.  When we don't know the simple facts, then many, in a well meaning fashion, will respond with many theories and "advice".  MUCH of which may not (will not is more correct) is not related to your Motor Home.  This confuses folks as they have to sort out the help or theories and focus on what the real problem is.

We still do NOT know.....DO YOU HAVE POWER TO ALL YOUR 120 Volt AC Receptacles?  Do you have power to them when plugged in or when on AC or SHORE.  That would have prevented the second round of trouble shooting.

Next UP....  I did provide you with some options and also detailed instructions. ....to save you money.  But, as a moderator, we have to shut down some discussions and tell the folks to PM or EMail them off line and that is the best solution.  But, since we do not STILL know exactly what your problem is....that is really frustating.

ODDS ARE....you have a defective Salesman's Relay.  That is PROBABLY the one in your pictures.  Unfortunately, your reluctance to provide timely and meaningful answers has probably caused some folks to decide not to participate.  We or myself, can not control the Group's "mood".  We are a really useful resource....if you read all the comments about what we have done for folks.  BUT, when folks jump in and quickly respond and don't get timely or even a simple answer, they decide to just NOT GET INVOLVED.  That is human nature.  Due to your physical condition and such, we tried to help out.

I have not, as was suggested , shut down this thread....However, sometimes things just keep getting asked again and again....we have had folks fail to reply and then several days later....say.  Thanks, I got it fixed.  Then the will not provide some details so we can learn and help others.

This site is a two way street and human nature will preavail.

I am asking anyone STILL reading (and that number is dwindling) to assist you, OFFLINE if possible in determining if the Solenoid in the picture (the one on the right) is your Salesman's Switch.  I THINK it is.  

Your comment about "Fiddling" with the switch tells us that the solenoid is defective.  That solenoid has NOTHING to do with your AC power.  SO, again, if you confirm that you have all AC power on for all outlets while running the Genny or on Shore, we have eliminated a cause or a variable.

Hope this makes sense to you.  We ARE trying to save you money.  We were also responding to your "If I can't get it fixed, I am gonna sell it ...." or words to that effect.  We felt that it was a know defect and had a fix (low cost) for it.  BUT, since we never received any answers.....then it got even more frustrating.

I hope this clears it up and you understand.  As I said, if I were there or familiar with your MH, I would send you step by step instruction that even your SON or a good auto mechanic could follow  I don't think that reflects a "Don't Care" attitude.

Thanks....

4 minutes ago, gwtkcobb said:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Thank you for your reply.  I really don't mean to be evasive or not answer questions...and perhaps what I wrote didn't line up with what I was trying to convey.  I ask my son to look at and try different things that were suggested.  I guess that when I say all or nothing that was self explanatory...my apologies for the confusion there.

I meant about the selling of the moho was of course after we got it fixed...again, any confusion there was my fault for perhaps not stating that correctly.

Since I was not there, I don't know what to say except for my son and wife have conveyed to me..."when I plugged into shore power nothing worked; however, upon fiddling with the salesman switch mom said what are you doing, things are working."  My son stated he kept an eye on the panel for the batteries and said that the power was coming from the shore power.  The charge level did not go down over night nor did the generator run.  So my only conclusion, unless someone has another logical explanation, is that the switch or solenoid must have something to do with shore (AC) power.  When they returned to the storage lot and turned things on they did not work until he flipped the switch a couple times (on DC power).  Again, I am only posting what I was told.

As for the solenoid in my photo being the one on the right...I'm sorry, but Being not familiar with what it might look like and only going on photos another (actually not sure who) posted what I see on the right looks nothing like what they posted.  It actually looks like memory boards for a computer on steroids (three light gray bars just under the light).  Or, is it the black box with clear cover on it just above the strip that has wires attached to it on the bottom right (sorry, mind is drawing a blank on its name).  The only other object I was thinking it might be is a small canister-looking piece (close-up in 4th photo from the top) in the upper left of the compartment.  For which ever it is it looks like something we can do we just need fairly detailed directions (some photos would be great...but not pushing it).

I think/hope I covered most, if not all, the items.   One last question would be is the inverter should be on all the time?  Where might it be located?  I thought when we purchased the moho the guy pointed it out as having access to it in the main pass-through cargo bay; however, my son doesn't see it (IF he really looked really well...lol).

Thank you so much!4.thumb.jpg.e4cc4f3c327029c0d88f945b4b547283.jpg

It sounds like you are not able to be in the coach, it sounds like you are getting info from your son. You'll have to ask him to please be detailed by what he means by "nothing". If he can plug a fan or something into an outlet and it works, not only is that not "nothing", but it tells us here a lot.

13 hours ago, gwtkcobb said:

Thank you for your reply.  I really don't mean to be evasive or not answer questions...and perhaps what I wrote didn't line up with what I was trying to convey.  I ask my son to look at and try different things that were suggested.  I guess that when I say all or nothing that was self explanatory...my apologies for the confusion there.

I meant about the selling of the moho was of course after we got it fixed...again, any confusion there was my fault for perhaps not stating that correctly.

Since I was not there, I don't know what to say except for my son and wife have conveyed to me..."when I plugged into shore power nothing worked; however, upon fiddling with the salesman switch mom said what are you doing, things are working."  My son stated he kept an eye on the panel for the batteries and said that the power was coming from the shore power.  The charge level did not go down over night nor did the generator run.  So my only conclusion, unless someone has another logical explanation, is that the switch or solenoid must have something to do with shore (AC) power.  When they returned to the storage lot and turned things on they did not work until he flipped the switch a couple times (on DC power).  Again, I am only posting what I was told.

As for the solenoid in my photo being the one on the right...I'm sorry, but Being not familiar with what it might look like and only going on photos another (actually not sure who) posted what I see on the right looks nothing like what they posted.  It actually looks like memory boards for a computer on steroids (three light gray bars just under the light).  Or, is it the black box with clear cover on it just above the strip that has wires attached to it on the bottom right (sorry, mind is drawing a blank on its name).  The only other object I was thinking it might be is a small canister-looking piece (close-up in 4th photo from the top) in the upper left of the compartment.  For which ever it is it looks like something we can do we just need fairly detailed directions (some photos would be great...but not pushing it).

I think/hope I covered most, if not all, the items.   One last question would be is the inverter should be on all the time?  Where might it be located?  I thought when we purchased the moho the guy pointed it out as having access to it in the main pass-through cargo bay; however, my son doesn't see it (IF he really looked really well...lol).

13 hours ago, gwtkcobb said:

OK....as long as you know that we are trying to help you and that folks lose interest when they ask questions to help you and they are not answered....then THEY just sort of go on to something else...  I hope you understand that we, the moderators, get "comments" and when the discussions get bogged down and folks suggest things that are totally off base....it just confuses the issues....and it is really hard to sort out FACTS vs SUGGESTIONS...

SO...as Rob pointed out.....

Your son needs to tell you when he said "NOTHING WORKS", was he talking about the overhead lights or did he try any of the 120 volt or AC outlets.  He does not have to be an electrician or engineer to plug in a fan or a cell phone charger or a light and tell you YES or NO.....we have power.  You need to get that answered.

Next up, the metal can in the picture is a Relay or a Solenoid.    So that you have a better understanding...here goes.  you have TWO of them.  They are like CANS....think a large can of beans.  There will be RED cables on two BIG posts.  There will be 2 or maybe 3 very small wires.  They are NOT printed circuit boards.  They are not clear plastic covered.  There will be a METAL can or cover and probably a plastic cover.  In the picture, that is ONE of TWO in your motor home.  BUT WHICH ONE?  Read ON....

EDITED 3:10  I did some googling and also looking at YouTube videos.  I CAN NOT say with certainity.  BUT, I think the Solenoid in your picture is the Battery Boost or the ISOLATION SOLENOID.  BUT.....That is an OPINION> 

If you REALLY want to help folks here, then have your son copy down the information on the solenoid in the picture.  I tried reading it but due to the wiring locations can NOT get a real part number or specifications.  IF you post that, then folks (or even me) will be able to tell you WHICH one it is.  For the interim.....it is STILL important to NOT mess with either one until you KNOW.  SO, post the specs from the side of the can and maybe folks will go from there....

There will be TWO of these in your MH.  One is bigger than the other.  The bigger one (it may be a different brand or look different...but it will be BIGGER in size) .  The BIGGER one is your Battery Boost.  That is a switch on your dash somewhere or within reach of the Driver when seated.  Read or lookup it in the Owner's Manual.    You do NOT have a problem with it.  You do NOT want to have anyone mess with it or tinker with it.

BUT....you need to find the SMALLER one and identify it.  I can't tell from the picture....which one it is....the Salesman Solenoid or Relay (SMALLER ONE) or the Battery Boost (LARGER ONE).  Someone that has a similar model or can identify it needs to chime in.  UNFORTUNATELY....those folks might have given up on this thread and are not reading it.  We moderators can NOT control that.

The comment that your son made about FIDDLING with the switch means....  There is an electrical failure...most likely in the "Can" in the picture.  When he fiddles or turns it on or flips the Salesman Switch at the door, that is like a mechanical LIGHT SWITCH.  When the door switch is ON or it pushed ON....the can then makes a circuit between the TWO LARGE RED WIRES.  Think about moving one red cable to the other post and bolting them or having them on the same terminal.  NOW, you have POWER ALL THE TIME to the 12 DC items....including the Overhead Lights.  If you turn OFF or push it the other way....then the can breaks or disconnects the two cables and you have NO POWER.

OK....if you understand that....then understand this.  This Solenoid or Relay is an accident waiting to happen.  It was put on by Monaco so that a salesman did not have to go inside every Motor Home and turn off every 12 VDC switch or light or such.  95 (HIGHER) Percent of us have either REMOVED IT....or REWIRED IT or JUMPERED IT.  It is NOT anything that an owner should ever need and it is expensive to replace.  Therefore, I sent you a NAPA number for a JUMPER.  You take the Jumper and connect it to BOTH of the Cables.  You COULD move one cable to the OTHER.  That is the same as TURNING ON the salesman's switch.  There COULD (highly unlikely) be a door switch.  But they are expensive and you have to pull apart the whole console.  

You or a technician or someone helping you needs to IDENTIFY the SMALLER or the Salesmans Relay or Solenoid and connect BOTH Cables to ONE side or JUMPER or RECABLE it.  The NAPA Jumper is the cheapest way to not have to pull and tug on the bigger cables.  BUT....I am NOT SURE that your picture is the Salesman or the BATTERY BOOST .  So, you have got to find or identify BOTH of them and then jumper or rewire the Salesman.  I don't know any other way to explain it.

As to the Inverter.  YES, most of the time the inverter is ON.  Your Owner's Manual tells you where it is.  It is probably in a back bay.  It may say TRACE or it may say MAGNUM or it may say XANTREX on the cover.  That is the three brands that Monaco used.  When you have SHORE or Genny power, then the Inverter gets POWER.  BINGO....the inverter just switches or routes that incoming power (115 Volt AC or House power like in your home) directly TO the outlets.  The Inverter does NOTHING.  BUT, when you have NO power, the Inverter is then taking Battery Voltage (your house batteries) and inverting and producing 115 V AC and you still have power to the outlets.  NOW, if you turn it off (somewhere in the motorhome), it stops doing that.  

• 4 weeks later...

I was wondering if this ever got solved?

I'm sitting here right now, in my MH (2003 Windsor 40DST) and I'm having a similar problem.

I do have electrical systems working, and also not working. What appears right now to be the ONLY systems not working are interior roof lights and both Air Conditioners.

That being said, this coach does have some other electrical issues that appear to possibly be related to the ATS. It's an IOTA 50 and I am having an RV Tech come and look at it sometime after the 14th. Generator runs but it won't power bupkis.

Now, back to the current problem (no pun intended).

When I came back to the MH this evening I accidentally hit two switches climbing aboard. First the light switch, and VIOLA! All the inside lights came on as advertised. Next up, and don't ask me how this happened because I do not know, my backpack managed to press the BATTERY CUT-OFF SWITCH just inside the door, and shut everything hooked up to it, off, including the interior roof lights.

I re-engaged that switch and nothing came back on.

My wall receptacles work (I have a fan in front of me and this computer is also plugged in and working). So nothing with those systems. My microwave is flashing in it's I LOST POWER STUPID mode and my coffee maker is letting me know the power has been interrupted. At least that very important appliance is operational, as in the Fridge.

I'm sitting here, in the dark except for my railroad lantern, typing on the computer and trying not to sweat to death. Trying to sleep tonight without the A/C is going to be interesting.

I've turned off every breaker I can find, rotated both main battery switches off, cut power via the breakers on the pedestal outside, and turned everything back on. NADA. ZIP. ZILCH. Full stop.

I've turned off and on (lather, rinse, repeat, repeatedly) that battery cut-off switch but nothing is coming on.

Am I looking at a salesman's relay that has decided now would be a good time to give up it's ghost? Or something else? I don't have enough electrical knowledge of this MH to go testing, even if I had my test equipment with me. I can work on cars but this MH is way beyond my capability if I have to start trying to avoid electrocution. All that said, if I can find the relay in question, I can bypass that nasty little bugger easily enough.

Thanks for reading and let me know what y'all think.

Lance:

Bypassing the relay will probably solve some of your problems.  It sounds as if a flaky relay has been part of your problem.

The IOTA transfer switch is a known problem.  Mine melted.  Others have had them catch fire.

What I bought, because of recommendations on this list, is an ESCO Transfer swich, the model number is LPT50BRD.  I bought mine on Amazon.  Here's the link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007HS0ONG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Even if your IOTA transfer switch is not now causing you trouble, in my humble opinion it should be replaced, before it catches fire.

You could consider ordering one and having it on hand when your technician arrives.

Your generator has a circuit breaker on it.  You could try turning the generator off, then gently flipping the circuit breaker off and back on. Start generator and see if things are better.

My Magnum inverter has circuit breakers.  They are push button breakers.  You may have a Xantrex inverter and I suppose the Xantrex also has circuit breakers.  I suggest you look at the inverter and make sure the circuit breakers are not tripped.

Good luck.
Dwight

I am planning on replacing the IOTA with the ESCO, or similar. I've seen a few LPT50BRD's, from several different manufacturers.

I've tried the Generator circuit breaker with no effect.

I've got the XANTREX and it has a breaker on the front. Pressed it, no change. I can hear a very high pitched sound when near it so I believe it too is working.

I also just found that absolutely NO LIGHTING within the coach is working. Just about everything else is. Except for the A/C.

Looks like I'm going to try and bypass the relay in the morning. I'm getting too tired to do it tonight and don't want to tick off my neighbors in the park. Not very nice to do midnight RV repair whilst they're trying to sleep. Especially since I am quite vocal while working on things. Waking up to one's neighbor cussing like a drunken sailor, they'd probably just end up calling the PoPo on me.

I'll post a pic of the offending compartment in the morning so that maybe someone can tell me exactly which relay is which.

Well, it looks like it is going to be the relay.

Decided to sit by the doorway and manipulate the switch repeatedly, again.

I guess it worked. Got lights and A/C again.

I'll still post a pic of the compartment so someone can assist me in finding the culprit and thereby eliminate it with extreme prejudice.

Later