Headlights

Military RVer

I have a 07 Endeavor. My headlights had yellowed and I decided to refinish them. I  used a product from Amazon called SYLVANIA - Headlight Restoration Kit. I had my doubts put when I applied the final clearcoat the lights looked like new. The process includes some sanding so I removed the headlights from the coach. That was the most effort.

On 10/19/2020 at 11:06 PM, Scotty Hutto said:

That's odd that it would still be on headlightsdepot.com's website, and I believe it is outdated information.

Since 2006, the US DOT has allowed LED headlamps to be used in production vehicles in the US (With the Lexus LS600h being the first vehicle produced for the US with all LED lighting).  My wife's 2013 Lexus ES300h came from the factory with all LED lighting, including headlights, as did my 2017 GMC Canyon Denali...  I can't imagine either Lexus or GMC would violate Federal regulations.  I researched this extensively back in 2009 for my Honda Pilot.

My guess is that headlightsdepot.com puts that old regulation, plus the requirement that LED headlights be used for "off-road purposes only"  on their site as a "C.Y.A." for those who replace standard 800-1600 lumen halogen headlights with much higher output LEDs. 

All of that said, high output LEDs (Likely with a different focal length than the halogen bulb the reflector was designed for) coupled with poorly aimed, cheap aftermarket headlights found on many RV's can create a lot of glare for oncoming drivers.

Most likely they do not want us using the LED in the old halogen cases as the lenses are inefficient and are unable to scatter the light in the right direction. LED's are good for projection or reflector style headlights not the reflector with the scatter lens on them. I have LED's on most of my other vehicles but they all use a clear lens. Even my military equipment has a clear lens with either a projector or a reflector in them.