what is the 12vdc dash electrical source - chassis or house battery and does it run through switch?

1nolaguy

I apologize in advance if this is lengthy.

Problem: It appears I've lost power to the center counsel of our 2005 Safari Cheetah. This has been an on again off again issue that I though was fixed but apparently not. currently I have power to ignition, lights, signals wipers, horn, back camera monitor but do not have power to the dash fan (heat/AC), 12v outlets, radio, do have power to switch for gen start, and switches on the passenger side. I checked all the fused in the panel outside the driver's window in front basement and also at main electrical and all are good. I am thinking the issue may be a bad ground. Do you concur? If so, I am thinking the best solution would be a new bus bar ground in the dash area with all new ground runs to it and from the new block to the block in the driver's side 12v panel area.

I know this is a dumb question but is there a standard color for the ground wires? I think it is white or yellow but am not sure. What gauge stranded insulated wire should I run from one block to the other for ground? I was thinking 12 ga might be enough but maybe it should be 10 or 8.

I had something like that happen to me. 

On my rig - 2000 Dynasty, the power for fans, radio & 12v outlets comes from a second solenoid on my “salesman switch”. 

2EF42F21-3A71-4EAC-9374-E2B5C86467E0.thumb.jpeg.c51bd7dd30fdbbcf28a027af720785ea.jpeg

The lower right side has 2 continues duty solenoids (silver) that are both controlled by the salesman switch. One goes to my house fuse box, and the other goes to my front chassis fuse box - I have a line of fuses - radio, 12v outlet, fans, etc. That’s the one that died on me. When you checked those fuses - did you check that they were receiving 12v power?

I doubt it’s the ground bar, because then gauges and other stuff would be having problems too.  I have one ground bar just under the dash - there is a removable panel on top of the dash  for access to the back of the gauges and ground bar  

I ended up replacing both of the solenoids on the salesman switch with Victron smart Battery Protect-65. (BP-65).  They use less power when running - plus if the battery gets low - they turn off. The salesman switch on my rig now does nonthing. 

Good Luck

Edited by Rocketman3
One too many pic’s…

9 hours ago, 1nolaguy said:

I apologize in advance if this is lengthy.

Problem: It appears I've lost power to the center counsel of our 2005 Safari Cheetah. This has been an on again off again issue that I though was fixed but apparently not. currently I have power to ignition, lights, signals wipers, horn, back camera monitor but do not have power to the dash fan (heat/AC), 12v outlets, radio, do have power to switch for gen start, and switches on the passenger side. I checked all the fused in the panel outside the driver's window in front basement and also at main electrical and all are good. I am thinking the issue may be a bad ground. Do you concur? If so, I am thinking the best solution would be a new bus bar ground in the dash area with all new ground runs to it and from the new block to the block in the driver's side 12v panel area.

I know this is a dumb question but is there a standard color for the ground wires? I think it is white or yellow but am not sure. What gauge stranded insulated wire should I run from one block to the other for ground? I was thinking 12ga might be enough but maybe it should be 10 or 8.

As far as which battery bank the various dash items are powered off, it depends on how it was wired on the assembly line.  Bill D recommended that you find the ground buss on the outside of the firewall, loosen up all the screws, and spray the entire buss with WD 40.  Then retighten all the screws.  Remove and clean both ends of the cable that is attached to the buss.  

Since the ground wire is daisy chained to all the gauges on your instrument panel, you need to tighten up the wires on each gauges.

Monaco used a lot of white wires for both 12vac and ground.  See if there is writing on the insulation of the wire.  The wires will come loose due to vibration from road travel.  

You might want to add this to your annual preventative maintenance schedule.  

Chuck B 2004 Windsor