Plumbing Sealant

What is used on plumbing connections to black and gray tanks? Mine is cracking on black vent pipe allowing a not so good odor for my nose. Is it maybe a tread sealant? I need to add more to reseal vent pipe. TIA

Gary M

31B85342-4D5B-4042-8951-0A033B766883.jpeg

Gary,

RV black and grey water tanks are made from ABS plastic. Epoxy and sealers do a poor job of sticking to ABS. Repairs to ABS use ABS plastic sheeting or shavings and either melt the materials together using heat or chemicals.

I suggest you remove all the white sealer around the joint and determine if it is cracked and broken. I had a fifth wheel black tank that had a crack on the drain neck. The previous owner had filled the crack with epoxy and sealer but it still leaked.  I used Plasti-mend with ABS mesh. Search for ABS repair kits and Plasti-mend kits. 

Good luck.

2 hours ago, SteveC said:

Gary,

RV black and grey water tanks are made from ABS plastic. Epoxy and sealers do a poor job of sticking to ABS. Repairs to ABS use ABS plastic sheeting or shavings and either melt the materials together using heat or chemicals.

I suggest you remove all the white sealer around the joint and determine if it is cracked and broken. I had a fifth wheel black tank that had a crack on the drain neck. The previous owner had filled the crack with epoxy and sealer but it still leaked.  I used Plasti-mend with ABS mesh. Search for ABS repair kits and Plasti-mend kits. 

Good luck.

Thankyou.

I just remembered when I lived on a sailboat, I made a drip pan out of ABS. I cut some ABS on my tablesaw and took the shavings, mixed I think with acetone and made a ABS glue and to put it together with. So yes I will remove to see what’s cook’n.

Edited by Gary M
  • Like 1