2011 Holiday Rambler Ambassator with the Maxxforce engine. The Regen light is on - Now what.

Go to solution Solved by dandick66,

I bought the Scangauge and it’s great for the basics - temps, RPMs, fuel, etc.  However, it didn’t show any codes when my MIL was on.  I ended up buying the NEDS and the applicable protocol adapter.

The main reason I went with the NEDS was because of my engine brake.   For some reason the engine brake was programmed to only activate when the service brakes were applied.  Well, this didn’t really help going down a hill because your service brakes will overheat.  I did some research and found out the engine brake settings are user programmable, if you have the software.  I figured if I took it to the dealer it would cost me at least $200-$300.  I think (it was about 3 years ago) my cost for the adapter and software was less than that.  I was able to reprogram the engine brake myself.  I really like the NEDS.  After each trip, I download the engine info - mainly for record purposes. The NEDS has more features than I know how to use.  It displays total engine hours, total miles, total fuel consumed and more.  You can also set it up to record data.  Another feature is that if it throws a code, you can look at the snapshot.  The snapshot shows exactly what was going on when the code was set - miles, temp, throttle position, etc.  Sometimes a code will set, but the MIL doesn’t come on.  The NEDS will show current and previous codes.  You can also reset the codes.  I’ll find an engine report and the NEDS manual and send it to you.  Give me a call if you want to discuss this further.  There’s way too much to type…757 291 2023

Thanks Dan,

Do you know where you bought the NEDS software and the connection hardware? It looks like that is what I need. I am also looking at the BlueFire software so I can see more about what is going on as I drive it.

Dave

Dave,

I have the BlueFire, too.  I use it with the iPad.  I got the NEDS and the adapter both on EBay.  With NEDS, you really aren’t concerned about getting the latest version/update since our engines are over 10 years old.  As far as the adapter, I bought the DPA 4 (Dearborn Protocol Adapter).  There are other brands you can use.  I see someone is selling the DPA 4 plus for $150 on eBay and NEDS s $60 and up. 
You will need a laptop, too.  I have an older laptop that I use for NEDS.  Most of the NEDS on eBay are remote installation.  You need to download software, usually Teamware, and they connect into your laptop and install the program.   Was a little leery about doing that, but it was OK.  Here is a link to the NEDS User manual 

https://store.diagnosticinnovations.com/pdf/International_Navistar_UserManual_ned.pdf

I got both the software and hardware and the seller installed the NEDS software and authorized it today. Looks like all is looking good on that front. So thank you very much for all the help. I talked to the shop today and it looks like the air-intake temp sensor. Before they replace it they are going to cliean it and the other sensors first. That way they are not just throughing parts at it. I will keep you informated.

Again Thanks for the help.

• Solution

Dave,

Good to hear you got the adapter and software.  I think you’ll find the NEDs does everything you might possibly need.  The way I look at it, the cost of the software and hardware will pay for itself in 1 visit to the dealer.  
As you know, the Maxxforce has a pretty bad reputation.  I didn’t realize that when I bought the coach.  However, from what I’ve been told, the Maxxforce 10 did not have the problems.  I think it was the 7, 11 and 13.  I really can’t complain about the performance or reliability of my engine.  I’ve put about 25k miles on mine since I got it.  I think it has about 47k total miles.  IRV2 has a Maxxforce section on their forum.  I’ve got some help there.  I’ve downloaded a lot of stuff for the Maxxforce engine on the internet.  Send me your personal email address and I’ll send the files to you.  
Dan

• 3 weeks later...

Well the on going story. Took it back to the shop and after it sitting for almost a month they finally got it going. They said the DPF was 85% clogged. After a long regen it is down to 14%. Still a little wierd, We think the lights were on because I did not wait long enough for the engine to warm up before I drove it. It did the same thing when I drove it home. I started it and only waited a couple of minutes and drove it off. Not 100 yards down the road It got the MIL light and the red traingle flashed 3 time then went out. I drove it home and the red light did not come on but the MIL light stayed on. Got home turned it off, went and got the laptop with the NEDs software. Hooked it up. Started the engine and there were no light and not codes to clean. I called them back and they said it is a ghost code, and as long as the red light does not stay on it should be good to go. If the MIL light comes on clear it. It ran good and I had no problem driving it at all. So I guess It keep the NEDs software handy until I run across a good trade in deal, and this one is GONE. Tired of dealing with it to be honest.

Dave,

Glad to hear you got it going.  I thought they told you the IAT sensor was bad and they had it in order.  What happened with that?  As far as not waiting long enough for the engine to warm up, I don’t know about that theory.

If the MIL light came on, the NEDS will show either active or inactive codes.  The MIL will only turn on if a DTC occurs.  What exactly did the repair shod do?  
Dan

They finally got it to do a regen. He told me the DPF was 85% blocked and it took quit awhile to get it done. He said he checked all the sensors and they were ok. I need to dig into the NEDS software and see if I can figure it out. He said (I take this with a grain of salt) that the MIL that popped up is a ghost code. ??? But it did go away after shutting it down and starting it again about 30 minutes later. It has not come back as of yet. Like I said I just need to take some time and hook up the computer and look at any any codes, active or inactive. I'm not reall confident in this guy. So again I will try to get the local International shop to look at it. But they don't like motorhomes but I will give it a try.