Ultra RV UltraTrac Bar

I finally got around to installing the Ultra RV UltraTrac bar on our LaPalma.

For those of us with W-Series chassis, this is a MUST. I took it for a test drive, and it was very windy….the coach stayed straight, no wiggle whatsoever, and my pucker factor stayed at 0.

Next installation will be the Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer.

IMG_2222.jpeg

I have the Blue Ox trackbar and I agree that it was the best modification. 
However, the big trucks still pushed us around when they pass and the Safe-T-Plus resolved that. I would definitely recommend that you add it to the steering.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Martinvz said:

I have the Blue Ox trackbar and I agree that it was the best modification. 
However, the big trucks still pushed us around when they pass and the Safe-T-Plus resolved that. I would definitely recommend that you add it to the steering.

The only thing keeping me from installing it is that I know the u-bolt nuts would snap the u-bolts, and I don’t know what size I need, so I’m going to call Brazel’s and order some replacements, just for peace of mind.

• 3 weeks later...

I installed the Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer and a new set of Bilstein shocks last weekend. The old Bilsteins were installed in 2011. Before I did the Safe-T-Plus install, I ordered a new u-bolt for the passenger side leaf spring, and I'm glad I did. Rather than fight with 18 year-old rusted nuts, I used my zip wheel and saved myself a lot of time & cursing....30 seconds and the old u-bolt was off. The Safe-T-Plus installation was a breeze and took me less than 15 minutes. The Bilstein shocks took a bit longer, but that was because the new ones were a giant PITA to compress into place. I figured that the old ones would have no rebound, but they bounced back pretty fast. Last year I had the alignment done at the tire shop, when they installed the new Michelins, but I was never happy with the results, so I contacted a local shop that specializes in RVs and big rigs and brought it to them for a new alignment and Safe-T-Plus adjustment. They added a caster shim on the passenger side, to counteract the sloping shoulder of the roads. The final result is a MH that rides drastically different than when we bought it, it stays true and straight, and the ride is noticeably smoother and less harsh, which goes to show that even though shocks rebound quickly, they're not necessarily still in good shape. The final alignment numbers are:

Front Axle

Cross Camber: 0.4°

Cross Caster: -0.5°

Total Toe: 0.04°

Cross Turn Diff. Set Back: -0.01°

Rear Axle

Cross Camber: -0.2°

Total Toe: 0.01°

Thrust Angle: 0.03°

IMG_2289.jpg

Edited by FLynes

Hi Frederick,

Great list of upgrades to your coach and thanks for sharing the alignment settings. I am sure the handling is much better than before. As I recall you have a W24 WorkHorse chassis.

A shock absorber upgrade is planned as ours are 17 years old and, although not failing, are due for replacement.

I have some questions on the selection on the decision of the choice of shocks:

1. What were your reasons (other than cost) for choosing Bilstein over Koni?
  2. What model shocks did you install on your coach?

1 minute ago, Martinvz said:

Hi Frederick,

Great list of upgrades to your coach and thanks for sharing the alignment settings. I am sure the handling is much better than before. As I recall you have a W24 WorkHorse chassis.

A shock absorber upgrade is planned as ours are 17 years old and, although not failing, are due for replacement.

I have some questions on the selection on the decision of the choice of shocks:

1. What were your reasons (other than cost) for choosing Bilstein over Koni?
  2. What model shocks did you install on your coach?

Hi Martin,

Yes, we have the W24 chassis. To answer your questions:

1. A combination of reasons. Koni shocks being more expensive than Bilstein was the biggest reason. Also, I have never had a single issue with Bilstein shocks...I have them on my Jeeps and love them. Finally, Bilstein was what was installed on the chassis, when it was built, and I'm one of those OCD weirdos that likes to keep everything as OE as possible, within reason. While the Koni shocks would have probably been easier to install, since they aren't gas-charged, all of the research I've done says that rigs with Koni shocks ride very soft, and that just doesn't sound like something I want with a top-heavy rig. I will tell you that since installing the Bilstein shocks, I have noticed that things that rattled no longer rattle, when I'm driving. Coupled with the UltraRV Trac Bar and the Safe-T-Plus, it is a night and day difference.

2. The Bilstein shocks I installed were the B6 model. I bought them from www.shocksurplus.com and paid $443.02 shipped for front and rear.

• Like 1