What should I do with this old antenna mount?

I have this old broken off antenna mount on my roof, I think it was for the CB Radio originally.

Screenshot2023-06-14at12_18_27PM.png.1bd8e00235da3f5b377e38bc0d6d269f.png

As you can see, it's looking rather tired.

Normally I'd just freshen up the dicor around it, but the silicone(?) around is failing as well. 

Should I strip as much of the old silicone off as possible, and re-silicone it, then add new dicor?

Should I attempt to remove the mount altogether and plug the hole with something (seems dodgy)?

Some of those mounts use a 3/8 holes through the roof and then others are half-inch. Clean off the old decor from the mount and you should be able to unscrew that plastic mount from the metal mount. That’s underneath it if it’s what I’m thinking it is a fairly easy job first thing you need to do is get all at all diecor off there so you can determine what type of mount that thing is if you get it down to the 3/8 or half inch hole it’s in the roof you can probably fill it with new diecor and whatever else is recommended or even use a piece of that Roofing tape and tape over the hole.

Cliff

• Like 1

If you have a fiberglass roof, you don't use the antenna and/or think you will ever use the hole for some other purpose, fix it the permanent way.   You can get a fiberglass repair kit with either polyester or epoxy resin and fiberglass cloth.  Go on youtube and there are plenty of videos that will show you how to patch a hole in fiberglass.   Sounds like a lot of work but it is a really simple process that shouldn't take you more than a couple hours as a rookie, and it will be much faster once you have done this the first time.  You will never worry about it leaking!

• Like 2

Our TV antenna (for local stations) unexpectedly deployed (& was removed) shortly after we purchased our ‘08 Diplomat. We don’t watch much TV anyway, so we never replaced it. I suggested to my husband that we put a small golden unicorn horn there, but his military mind wanted something representative of “flipping someone the bird”… Needless to say, the situation hasn’t been resolved lol! Perhaps we need an alternative idea that we might agree upon (and also save our idyllic marriage)? Open to any & all suggestions!

(My apologies if this borders on absurdly inane or offensive).

• Haha 2

We had a similar situation on our 2005 Exec (standard fiberglass roof for the vintage). When I removed the DirecTV system, I was left with the holes where the wires entered the front and rear. Both had cable entry covers screwed to the roof and covered with Dicor Self-leveling sealant. One was into the cabinet over the passenger seat and the other was into the rear cabinet just forward of the closet.

Because I thought that there was a possibility I’d want to reuse the holes in the future, I removed all the old material down to the roof and holes. Then I used regular sheet aluminum (Home Depot) cut to be slightly larger than the cable entry covers. I sealed under it around the holes with GeoFlex 2300, added new small screws with sealant to hold it in place, then covered the edges and screws with Dicor Self-leveling sealant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great suggestions folks!

I like the sheet aluminum idea, but I think I'd skip drilling more holes in the roof and just rely on the GeoFlex to hold it in place.  Only issue for me is that the antenna is mounted on the curve of the front cap, so a flat piece of aluminum might still work if it could be molded to the shape of the cap.

I think I'll remove the old sealant and see what I've got to work with. I do like the idea of keeping the option of running wires through it in the future if needed.

On 6/15/2023 at 2:53 PM, RoadTripper2084 said:

Great suggestions folks!

I like the sheet aluminum idea, but I think I'd skip drilling more holes in the roof and just rely on the GeoFlex to hold it in place.  Only issue for me is that the antenna is mounted on the curve of the front cap, so a flat piece of aluminum might still work if it could be molded to the shape of the cap.

I think I'll remove the old sealant and see what I've got to work with. I do like the idea of keeping the option of running wires through it in the future if needed.

Perhaps you could put Eternabond tape over the existing holes and put GeoFlex or Dicor over the edges of the tape.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2023 at 5:09 PM, tomevansfl said:

Perhaps you could put Eternabond tape over the existing holes and put GeoFlex or Dicor over the edges of the tape.

Not a big Eternabond fan, and certainly would need to fill the hole with something first anyway, then I might as well use lap sealant over it (my preference).