Allison trans not upshifting right?

Since I've had the motorhome pretty much the trans didn't like upshifting from 4th to 5th and sometimes 5th to 6th. It only did it once in awhile and always when under full throttle but if I let of the throttle it would shift and be fine. Yesterday I took it out for test drive after I had the injection pump of to fix a leak on the throttle shaft and had the upshift problem happening 3 times in a half hour drive. 

I do have the King Controls still and know it controls the TPS so could that be my issue or does anyone have any other ideas? Also right now I don't have the throttle cable adjusted for full throttle since I was doing it by myself but it's close and I don't think that should be the issue. 

Hi there. I hace a 96 Monaco with the 8.3C and King cruise. Many years ago I had to have my King cruise rebuilt. When I got it back and installed it my rig was down shifting too soon. It just never gave me the great power performance . I talked to Steve about it and couldn't figure it out. About 5 years ago I had Steve give it a refresh. This time Steve told me, as if I should already know, that the throttle cable is connected to the throttle lever at the hole closest to the armature, not out in the 2nd whole which is what I had done the last install. What a great fix that was. 

So, just some info that might help. I sure hope all goes well. Be safe and visible out there.

Steve King

• Like 1

Thanks Stephen, I wonder if that could have something to do with mine as well. I have it in the last hole which is where it was before I took the pump off to fix the leak at the throttle shaft. The po did have it repaired once too so maybe he put it in the wrong hole as well. First thing I'm going to do is change the fuel filter just because it's been a year but it can't hurt to try moving the cable as well.

• Like 1

In case anyone is following this here is an update. I changed the fuel filter and reset the TPS then went on a 30 mile drive where it seemed to shift fine or at least much better then it did the last time out. 

Nosmo, I looked at my instructions for the King Cruise and it showed it being in the last hole. The only thing it said to make sure was that the arm was at 7 oclock when installed on the shaft.  So for now I'll leave it there and if the shifting isn't right when we leave next week I will move it then and see. 

Unfortunately on this test drive I took a good size rock to my windshield :(. I think its covered by my insurance but getting someone to do it around here is another story. 

Edit: I don't know if I was looking at the manual upside down or what but after looking again I was totally wrong, it's supposed to be exactly how you siad Nosmo. 

Edited by Craggar
  • Like 1