Basic converter question

saflyer

On 7/20/2020 at 4:10 AM, Bob Nodine said:

Your coach is like ours and has the IRD. It does not charge the chassis batteries from the inverter/charger thus the Trk-L-Start. The contactor to the left of the Trk-L-Start is the clunk you hear when the battery boost switch is depressed. The IRD will engage that contactor when the engine is running and the chassis batteries are fully charged allowing the alternator to charge the house batteries. That contactor is notorious  for corroded or burned contacts that prevent the two battery banks form being connected.

The black plastic housing in the rear of the battery compartment has the slideout control circuit board and if you have the option the solar charge control board. The big black box above the inverter houses the controls for the air heaters that start the Cummins engine. The Cummins does not use glow plugs and heats the incoming air to start the engine.

If you are referring the the Bosch type 87 relay with the mounting tab in the photo as the dangling by the wires device, it should be bolted to the right side of the battery box enclosure. There should be several of these relays there and some fuses. One of the items there is the charging relay and fuse for the charge connection to the 7 way trailer plug at the hitch on the rear. That relay engages when the engine is on and supplies power to charge the battery in the vehicle you are towing. Very handy if you have a supplemental brake that uses 12 volt power in the towed vehicle. If I get a chance I will take of photo to show you.

Bob, 

The dangling item in the first picture is in the Front distribution panel, not the battery bay.  I checked and yes, it has righting that tells what it’s for.  High beams and fog lights.  It’s the only one of those items in the forward distribution panel.  Don’t know what controls the other lights.