Onan 10kw Routine Maintenance

Here is a video showing some of the items on an Onan 10kw Quiet Diesel during a major service.  Replacing fuel filter, fan V-belt and checking/adjusting valves on Isuzu 3-cylinder engine.

• Like 1

Great informative video.

I always cut open my filters every time I change them.  The Onan fuel filter is a bit unique.  There are two stages inside that rectangular case.  In the attached picture, the upper portion shows both the front and back side of the long pleated primary filter media.  The lower filter shows both the front and back side of the internal secondary filter.  So basically this Onan fuel filters is two filters inside the same housing.  In case you are wondering, there was about 1,000 hours on this fuel filter.  After cutting open engine fuel filters and finding almost no deposits on the primary and basically none in the secondary filter, I let the generator fuel filter run longer.  Anyway, that's been my experience but by coach sites inside a humidity controlled garage when not being used.

IMG_20170620_143255581.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Frank McElroy said:

Great informative video.

I always cut open my filters every time I change them.  The Onan fuel filter is a bit unique.  There are two stages inside that rectangular case.  In the attached picture, the upper portion shows both the front and back side of the long pleated primary filter media.  The lower filter shows both the front and back side of the internal secondary filter.  So basically this Onan fuel filters is two filters inside the same housing.  In case you are wondering, there was about 1,000 hours on this fuel filter.  After cutting open engine fuel filters and finding almost no deposits on the primary and basically none in the secondary filter, I let the generator fuel filter run longer.  Anyway, that's been my experience but by coach sites inside a humidity controlled garage when not being used.

IMG_20170620_143255581.jpg

Same here Frank.  I always cut my filters apart to look and make sure they are doing their job.  You've gone a few more hours on your fuel filters for the generator than I have though.

Back when we were racing I was changing the oil & filter every 100 hours and I'd change the fuel and air filters about every 500 hours.  That was about every 2 to 2-1/2 years back then.  This filter on the genny was over 9 years but barely a 100 hours.  😜

As for my engine filters, I cut them apart last fall when I replaced them and I was pleasantly surprised at the difference I saw from several years ago prior to adding the FASS system to our coach.  I had very little in the first filter, nothing in the 2-micron second or 2-micron third filter at all after approx. 11k miles.  If the fuel is getting polished that well, I am even more confident that less is getting to the generator filter than prior to 2021 when I added the FASS.