I wonder if I made a mistake?

Chet P

I back my model Y in the trailer and climb out the drivers window.  When I lock the car it rolls the window up.

I had hoped I would be able to use summon to load/unload the car but the ramp is too steep to summon the car in, and summon won’t work to unload because the Tesla can’t get a gps signal.

I have enough room to open the door a little and roll down the window to climb back in to unload the car.   It’s not too bad as there’s a board I can grab while climbing in and out and the fender is there to step on.

The truck we used to tow wasn’t noticeable while driving the motorhome, but the aluminum trailer with the Model Y in it slows me down on steep grades.

Granville Barker

05’ Dynasty 

Actually the yellow line was for towing my model 3.   I was pulling it into the trailer forwards, which probably wasn’t the best way.  Backing in is much easier I’ve found with the model y, you just need to fold the mirrors before you get to the cables on the door.

The model 3 doesn’t have a hitch, and the ones you can add don’t support the tongue weight of my trailer.  The campground near my wife’s grandma only had backins, like so many out there, so I really wanted to be able to move the trailer around in tight spots when needed.

I’m on my first trip with the Y in tow, and so far it’s all gone great.   It does take me considerably longer to hook up the trailer, load the car, and tie it down properly.  

I can still take the model 3, or any other car that will fit in the trailer on trips. 

Warning: if you get a Tesla, it won’t be long before you will want to take it on trips with you.   One day I hope we see a Tesla semi based motorhome with autopilot.

My thanks to everyone who has responded to this thread. I got some good tips. I am installing the $321.00 after market hitch on the Tesla. This should be fine for just moving the trailer around during loading and parking. I like the idea of backing in.

Chet P

45' Castle IV Detroit 60

20' Haulmark with a 2021 Tesla MY

Not sure about the Tesla's weight distribution, but be sure you have an adequate percentage of tongue weight or your trailer will sway severely.

I once put a wrecked Bronco II on a trailer backwards, just to move it across town. 

I nearly lost it on a slight downhill, and had to keep it below about 30mph for the rest of the, thankfully short,  trip.

2 hours ago, dl_racing427 said:

Not sure about the Tesla's weight distribution, but be sure you have an adequate percentage of tongue weight or your trailer will sway severely.

I once put a wrecked Bronco II on a trailer backwards, just to move it across town. 

I nearly lost it on a slight downhill, and had to keep it below about 30mph for the rest of the, thankfully short,  trip.

I put a mark on the floor where the wheels need to be for the right weight distribution. Tesla’s are about the same in either direction.   Don’t forget to check your coach weight too and adjust you tag axel pressure with the trailer attached and loaded.

Granville Barker

05’ Dynasty