Dometic refrigerator

Mr Keith

I just got back from my first two nighter and I had some trouble with my dometic refrigerator. I was plugged in for the whole weekend and the freezer was about 20° and the refrigerator was about58. The unit is about five years old and is  gas and electric. Also one of my gas water heaters was leaking a little propane through the orifice once the thermostat shut it off I am assuming I need a new gas valve. I appreciate any suggestions thanks

Are you running the fridge on gas or electric? Gas works better.  Did you have the fridge precooling for a couple of days before departing?  Only load it with food that is already chilled/frozen.  

Propane sniffers only cost $30 or $40 on Amazon.  You might want to check all your gas lines and appliances, too.  

If your voltage was slightly low your fridge might do as you describe. Always check the voltage when you suspect a cooling problem, especially when operation in hot weather. You could also have a bad heater element. Measure the current dissipated through each coil and compare to each other and specs.

When mine did as you describe, it was caused by a blockage in the cooling unit. The Norcold cooling unit was about 5 years old, at the time. There are self diagnosing directions on line for cooling unit blockage or any authorized Rv repair shop could do it. If that is it - you will need a new cooling unit or new frig. Allegedly a possible temporary cure is to rap the coils to dislodge the blockage, but if that works, it is temporary. As others have noted, there are other possibilities, the circuit board, burner unit, etc. I replaced the burner and it turned out to be the wrong burner, so be sure you get the correct one if you go that route.

karl

• 1 month later...

Another promblem I have run into if you have had the circuit board replaced.  I had problems, and called out a differant repare company. The tech walked up to the out side panel and looked inside and said you have the wrong circuit board. He replaced with the correct circuit board and the refrigerator ran better than it had ever did since new. It was still going strong when I traded for my currant Home.