Awning Stuck

Guest Dive Dive

Guest Dive Dive

The awning on my 07 Cayman XL spins when the extend switch is pressed but it does not extend out.   It seems like it is hung up somehow.   Has anyone had this type of issue? 

18 minutes ago, Zigman64 said:

The awning on my 07 Cayman XL spins when the extend switch is pressed but it does not extend out.   It seems like it is hung up somehow.   Has anyone had this type of issue? 

Please clarify "SPINS" does this mean that the roller rotates and it doesn't extend or does it mean that you hear it running and no movement of the roller.

Ji,

Guest Dive Dive

The roller rotates and it doesn’t extend.  Consequently the fabric gets loosely wrapped on the roll if that makes sense. 

Thanks for the clarification,

Most likely one gas struts has failed and remaining one doesn't provide capability to extend the awning. It could also be it just stuck and need a little assistance to manually pulling from the top when trying to extend it.

Once you get it extended you will be able to disconnect one end of one gas struts to determine if is good, you will have to check each strut independently.

Hope this helps to solve your problem.

Jim

If it is a Carefree Awning there is a good chance that the rubber donut shaped part on each end of the roller is rotted or broken. It is called an Awning Tractioner. You can do a search online for this "Carefree 901067 Tractioner Kit". It has a tab that catches the awning and gives it a push to get it started moving outward. I have had to replace both of mine.

Carefree 901067 Tractioner Kit

If it is a Carefree Awning with the metal protective cover jenronn is correct.  I had the same problem and thought it was the struts, replaced them with no luck...but I had taken those tractioners off not knowing what they were to install a screen in the extra roller track.  Those tractioners actually grab on to the aluminum protective cover and push the awning out to where the gas shocks take over to push it the rest of the way out.  And you don't want to have to change those struts if you don't have to, they are expensive and a real pain in the butt to change.

Guest Dive Dive
3 hours ago, Bob Wightman said:

If it is a Carefree Awning with the metal protective cover jenronn is correct.  I had the same problem and thought it was the struts, replaced them with no luck...but I had taken those tractioners off not knowing what they were to install a screen in the extra roller track.  Those tractioners actually grab on to the aluminum protective cover and push the awning out to where the gas shocks take over to push it the rest of the way out.  And you don't want to have to change those struts if you don't have to, they are expensive and a real pain in the butt to change.

Does this look like that type of awning?

1B2CD7EC-5221-423B-999F-C947DE03BCDB.jpeg

is the whole roller rotating or is just the end cap rotating?  The older caps have a flat spot that locks the cap to the roller and the caps may wear and rotate without turning the whole roller.

Zingman 64 has stated the roller rotates and the fabric gets loose.

Jim

Zigman64, that picture looks like a newer & nicer version of the one on my 04 Monaco Knight...but it defiantly looks like a Carefree of Colorado awning.  That metal cover is what protects the fabric, and is what the "Hooks" on the tractioner grab onto to push the awning away from the side of the coach.  Once they push it out that firs 6-8" then the gas struts push out and help keep the fabric tight as it extends.  I don't see those tractioners in your picture and I think you need them.  Carefree has a pretty good website with repair diagrams to where you can lookup how its built to see if you are missing any parts.