Where to Start - Air Horn Solenoid?

Guest pete.miller77

Guest pete.miller77

My '95 Monaco Dynasty's air horn has been failing for awhile and is now kaput. The fuse is OK. The attached picture shows what I believe to be the air horn solenoid. As you can see no wiring can be seen. It appears that I could access the wiring by either (1) removing the dash gauge panel or (2) removing the upholstering that is just above knee level from the driver's seat or (3) I might also be able to remove the phillips head screws that appear to mount the solenoid in the generator bay and pull it forward to show the wiring. What appears to be the solenoid here is on the driver's side of the generator and above the top of the generator cage.

I am uncomfortable doing any of this without asking for advice first. If anyone has a clue about how to proceed I would be forever grateful. Thanks, Pete.

DSCF1846.JPG

Edited by pete.miller77

That looks to me like the air horn compressor with a pair of air pipes coming out of it, one of which is disconnected. If you didn't disconnect it your problem might be the air just venting out of the connection instead of going to the horns. It looks like there is an adaptor fitting missing from the left connection, which you could source at any hardware store by taking the other one as a sample.

I would check and see if the compressor blows air out of that open port when you push the button.

56 minutes ago, pete.miller77 said:

My '95 Monaco Dynasty's air horn has been failing for awhile and is now kaput. The fuse is OK. The attached picture shows what I believe to be the air horn solenoid. As you can see no wiring can be seen. It appears that I could access the wiring by either (1) removing the dash gauge panel or (2) removing the upholstering that is just above knee level from the driver's seat or (3) I might also be able to remove the phillips head screws that appear to mount the solenoid in the generator bay and pull it forward to show the wiring. What appears to be the solenoid here is on the driver's side of the generator and above the top of the generator cage.

I am uncomfortable doing any of this without asking for advice first. If anyone has a clue about how to proceed I would be forever grateful. Thanks, Pete.

DSCF1846.JPG

I recently had a problem with my air horn on a 2004 Monaco Executive. 

Spent a  lot of money for mechanic searching for the problem.   I was told I needed a controller,  bad wiring,  etc.

Long story short,  I ordered a air solenoid from Amazon,  and WOW, horn works.  No wires to deal with.   Just changed solenoid. 

I recently had a problem with my air horn on a 2004 Monaco Executive. 

Spent a  lot of money for mechanic searching for the problem.   I was told I needed a controller,  bad wiring,  etc.

Long story short,  I ordered a air solenoid from Amazon,  and WOW, horn works.  No wires to deal with.   Just changed solenoid. 

Monaco uses the coach air to operate the Air Horns and not a separate compressor. That is your air horn solenoid. One of the airlines going into the solenoid will have the coach air pressure if the coach is aired up. The other line goes to the air horns. When you press the horn switch it activates the solenoid and send air to the horns.

You should make sure you dump the air in your coach before removing the solenoid. After you dump the air it will be safe to remove and replace the Solenoid. That solenoid might be obsolete, the replacement solenoid is a Hadley, Part Number is H00550B. They are on Amazon for under Fifty Bucks.