2011 Holiday Rambler Ambassator - Hydraolic levelers not working - can I still put out my slides

I have a 2011 Holiday Rambler Ambassator and the hydraolic levelers do not work because the motor is bad and needs replacement. My question is - before I get it fixed can I still put out my slides. When I get to a campground and level out the rig with boards, can I put out the slides, then air down. In my mind I am level. So will that harm the slides or the rig not having the three levelers down?

• Like 1

I discovered my dash and floor are at a slightly different level than kitchen counter.  Not enough to really matter, but leveling with the counter keeps the bathroom door from swinging one way or another. 

I use these from Amazon.  Portable, easy to use and yet accurate enough.  I don't mount them, just set them on the counter and work the leveling system.  There are MUCH cheaper alternatives without the graduations ($13.57 for 2 - I can't believe I paid that much) .

https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-08526-Never-Graduated-Level/dp/B00CXBAJBO/

That said I doubt you'll get the kind of leveling you want until you fix the hydraulic pump . . . . but maybe good enough to camp.  Sometimes if I find level ground I don't even put the jacks down.  Putting out the slides shouldn't change the level much . . . . not enough to matter. 

Remember:  A level absorption fridge is a happy fridge!

- bob

4 hours ago, cbr046 said:

I discovered my dash and floor are at a slightly different level than kitchen counter.  Not enough to really matter, but leveling with the counter keeps the bathroom door from swinging one way or another. 

I use these from Amazon.  Portable, easy to use and yet accurate enough.  I don't mount them, just set them on the counter and work the leveling system.  There are MUCH cheaper alternatives without the graduations ($13.57 for 2 - I can't believe I paid that much) .

https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-08526-Never-Graduated-Level/dp/B00CXBAJBO/

That said I doubt you'll get the kind of leveling you want until you fix the hydraulic pump . . . . but maybe good enough to camp.  Sometimes if I find level ground I don't even put the jacks down.  Putting out the slides shouldn't change the level much . . . . not enough to matter. 

Remember:  A level absorption fridge is a happy fridge!

- bob

Thanks Bob,

I had a tech out and it looks like a one time thing. They are working now. I also now knw how to bring them up with a drill in cased they won't come up again.

5 hours ago, Wrayj1 said:

Do you carry a carpenter's level with you, if so use it in the center of the coach to use your boards to level front yo rear and side to side then put your slides out.

Thanks for the info.. I got them fixed.

3 hours ago, Orrin C said:

Rcpilot1,  can you relate to us how you use a drill to operate the hydraulic levers?

Thanks

Orrin

Here is a link to a video on the basic idea of how to do it. But I would call LCI and get tye manual for your rig. I only have two selinoids, one for the front one jack and one for the rear jacks. If this does not help let me know and I will take some pictures of my pump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT925EGb8pA

Thanks, my hydraulic system is totally different.  It's located in the right front when you open the the generator cover.  However, you have give me ideas.

I've got a 2012 H.R. Ambassador and my hydraulic leveling system has an oil leak so I use only the air leveling system. The slides on my rig aren't hydraulic, electric motors only, so the hydraulic pump isn't needed. I level with air, lower the entire chassis as far as the system will allow, then open the slides. The air system holds level for a couple days, then I need to switch on the onboard air pump to fill the tanks to maintain level. Or you could restart the engine and let the air tanks fill that way, too. I've not used my hydraulic leveling system for the past couple years.

7 hours ago, denispecoraro said:

. . .  then I need to switch on the onboard air pump to fill the tanks to maintain level.

I'm thinking the onboard air pump also supplies the 2 air tanks?  If so, is there an air dryer to keep moisture out of the air tanks?  If not this could bite you down the road . . . . corrosion, freezing brakes.  Just not something to do over months and months IMO. 

- bob