Is it possible to auto level without starting the engine

rcpilot1

I have a 2011 Holiday Rambler 36 ft. and when I autolevel I have to start the engine or I get a low voltage on the panel, I was just at the  MS rally in Goshen and went to a Liport session on autoleveling. The person there said they tell the manufacture to ge the power from the house batteries, and if they are hooked to the chassis batter it needs to be moved. 

They way I have to do it now is - hook up the shore power, put out the slides, air down, start engine while either hitting the brakes or push on the parking brake and keep bleeding air as I auto level.

What I wonder is Could I get it ready to autolevel and instead of starting the engine, just turn the key to the on position and hold the boost switch that connects the house and chassis batteries. Would that provite the correct voltage to make the autolevel system work?

That’s sounds overly complicated.  I must have an extremely basic system.  Pump runs the three jacks from the batteries.  No need to start the engine or connect to shore power.  No pumping the brakes and whatnot to air down either. Alarm sounds if I try to start it and jacks aren’t up.  Very simple. 
Interested to see your outcome, nonetheless.  

Dave,  on our 2007 Holiday Rambler I position the coach on the site, plug in shore power, using air dump and brake to lower air to about 40psi, turn ignition key to a accessory, turn on leveling system and hit auto level.  The next step has been debated many times, that is deploying slides before or after leveling, I deployed slides after leveling.  I always have a 48 inch carpenter's level to check level front to rear and side to side.  If the auto level isn't level I turn off the leveling system, turn it back on and use manual level to adjust until level.  it dedns like a long process, but it only takes a couple of minutes.

My manual says to first put out the slides while aired up. Air down. Autolevel.   getting ready to leave. Start engine and air up. After air up jacks are off the ground. Retrack all jacks (engine running) Shut down engine and pull in slide after airing up. Kind of wierd I think but it seems to be because of the three jacks. The manual says the coach needs to be aired up to move the slides.

When I autolevel I need to turn the key to the on position, but when I turn on the autolevel it says LOW voltage, unless I start the engine.

I have different opinions/experiences regarding whether to deploy slides before or after leveling.  To me it seems counterintuitive to deploy slides before leveling as the coach could be slightly twisted on an unlovely surface.  Again, that has been debated for years.

Dave, You cannot rely on earlier coach procedures as you coach could have been built by REV Group and not by Monaco. Have you contacted REV for advice on this topic?

Monaco advised for DP coaches to first extend then level. However, every manufacturer has their own recommendations.

• Like 1

When I autolevel I need to turn the key to the on position, but when I turn on the autolevel it says LOW voltage, unless I start the engine. What I need to know is.  Can I push the boost button to connect both battery sets to give me enough voltage to run the jacks without starting the engine. I am not wanting to know how or which way is correct on leveling.

I think using the boost switch would be fine. Especially since your already hooked up to shore power. 

I would check the battery voltage to make sure there is not an issue. That light may be an early warning of a problem with your batteries or charging system. I have Hydraulic jacks and put them down with out the motor running with no problem. 

Check to batteries and they are fine. The following is an email I got from Lipor.

Good morning Dave,

Thank you for contacting Lippert Customer Customer Care Center.

No this is not a indicator of bad batteries. Your unit does require the engine to be running for the leveling system to operate properly.

Thank you,

Charles
Lippert Customer Care Center Representative

So this is the way it works. So I keep doing the same.