Dometic 510 plus toilet

stahl_barry

Hi, I have been engaging with my Dometic 510 Plus toilet for the last 2 days.  I replaced the 2 seals between the bowl and pedestal and cleaned ball the with sealand cleanser.  Put it back together and have not been able to stop it leaking, it is leaking out on the floor. I would appreciate any suggestions or ideas.  I am thinking about replace the whole toilet, but my question is does it come preassembled?  I do not want to go thru the samething if I need to put the bowl on.  The toilet is 18 years old and I am thinking that the 2 plastic C clamps have lost their ability to squeeze the the bowl and pedestal tight enough to prevent it from leaking.

Thanks

Barry

2000 Diplomat

You can buy

46 minutes ago, stahl_barry said:

Hi, I have been engaging with my Dometic 510 Plus toilet for the last 2 days.  I replaced the 2 seals between the bowl and pedestal and cleaned ball the with sealand cleanser.  Put it back together and have not been able to stop it leaking, it is leaking out on the floor. I would appreciate any suggestions or ideas.  I am thinking about replace the whole toilet, but my question is does it come preassembled?  I do not want to go thru the samething if I need to put the bowl on.  The toilet is 18 years old and I am thinking that the 2 plastic C clamps have lost their ability to squeeze the the bowl and pedestal tight enough to prevent it from leaking.

Thanks

Barry,  2000 Diplomat

Barry

You can buy those "half clamps",  (p/n 385310048), and any other Dometic 510 Plus toilet parts you might need,  here: https://ardemco.com/traveler-toilet-model-510/

And from may other inline suppliers

Edited by Mel S - '96 Safari
typo

Barry:  

Are you sure it's leaking from the bowl to pedestal connection?    

I've had a leak at the gasket where the pedestal connects to the floor.   I've replaced that gasket and carefully torqued the nuts tight without cracking the plastic.  Problem solved.  Go easy on those nuts.

Dwight L
05 Knight

I have had bowl at least 6 times and reinstalled.  The only thing I have noticed is that the black seal is not centered in the hole.  That is what makes me think that the "C" clamps have distorted and not doing their job.  13 years is pretty old for plastic parts.  Thank you for the thoughts.  Oh by the way I am getting a order.

Barry

do you know if a new toilet comes completely assembled

Barry

Barry,

I had the same frustrating problem with my 510 toilet last year. I talked with someone at Dometic who gave me definite must-do's:

- The split ring joins in the front, not on the side or the back, and the wide gap is centered in the back

- The worm screw goes in the back covering the wide gap.

- Do not over-tighten the worm screw, but definitely tighten it VERY firmly.

I had made all three mistakes and found each of the above three steps absolutely crucial. It took me about a half dozen attempts which is frustrating and embarrassing. Check at minute 4:00 in this video for alignment of the parts:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNQjkfwBHx4

18 hours ago, bobdinsmore said:

Barry,

I had the same frustrating problem with my 510 toilet last year. I talked with someone at Dometic who gave me definite must-do's:

- The split ring joins in the front, not on the side or the back, and the wide gap is centered in the back

- The worm screw goes in the back covering the wide gap.

- Do not over-tighten the worm screw, but definitely tighten it VERY firmly.

I had made all three mistakes and found each of the above three steps absolutely crucial. It took me about a half dozen attempts which is frustrating and embarrassing. Check at minute 4:00 in this video for alignment of the parts:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNQjkfwBHx4

I believe that the specified torque, (aka: tightness),  for that "worm gear band screw"  is 65 in-lb, (INCH/pounds). ,

Edited by Mel S - '96 Safari