Propane Tank Solenoid Valve cancel

Michel

Hi, anyone removed the electrical solenoid valve on their propane tank? It jus draws too much current went off grid camping. Just want to know if someone did cancel it, how did you plug the hole where the solenoid was. The solenoid is not connected to the propane alarm on my Cayman 2003. Thanks.

5 hours ago, Jim McGarvie said:

We dry camp more often than not, and came to the same conclusion early on (we picked up our Knight from the factory in 2001). I believe I just disconnected the solenoid electrically; I didn't physically remove it.

Looks like it will allways be closed if I just disconnect the wires since it is activated open with electrical?

1 minute ago, Michel said:

Looks like it will allways be closed if I just disconnect the wires since it is activated open with electrical?

Sorry, maybe I misremembered, or maybe our system is different from yours. If your system is normally closed, obviously it wouldn't work to disconnect it.

57 minutes ago, Jon__C said:

I removed mine and installed a manual valve in its place for same reason. Mine was pulling 1 amp or 24 ah per day. 

Thanks, I guess if I revome it I have to screw a plug in place of the solenoid? This is what mine looks like. Cannont unscrew from the tank, it's very pressure in the tank and risk of fire.

Propane Solenoid.jpg

6 minutes ago, Jim McGarvie said:

Sorry, maybe I misremembered, or maybe our system is different from yours. If your system is normally closed, obviously it wouldn't work to disconnect it.

Ok thanks, yes looks like there is more than one type of system, this one I have is kind of weird, it always have current on it to keep it open, I mostly boondock and it draws quite a bit of the batteries, near 2 amps per hour.

I think I will either remove the solenoid, take it out, remove the plunger and it will be open all the time, I could allways put it back on. Or, I will use a Solenoid Magnet like they use to test electrical magnet like this one below. This way I can reuse the electro part if I wantm just reinstall it. I would make it work from time to time to make sure it does not seize inside. I have a manual valve that can be open and closed to service the tank, like replacing the regulator without emptying the tank or to close to fill up the propane tech told me not to play to often with the manual valve as they sometime start to leak and cannot be closed completely. This system is no installed anymore.

https://www.amazon.ca/-/fr/gp/product/B009M9UIHU/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&th=1

Edited by Michel
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/4/2023 at 12:20 PM, Michel said:

Thanks, I guess if I revome it I have to screw a plug in place of the solenoid? This is what mine looks like. Cannont unscrew from the tank, it's very pressure in the tank and risk of fire.

Propane Solenoid.jpg

Ok thanks, yes looks like there is more than one type of system, this one I have is kind of weird, it always have current on it to keep it open, I mostly boondock and it draws quite a bit of the batteries, near 2 amps per hour.

I finally got around to crawling under the coach and checking how I disabled the solenoid valve, and I actually removed it physically and replaced it with a brass fitting that has a connection for a hose to extend to the side of the vehicle to connect to a gas grill.