Battery recommendations?

Dan Lane

Upgrade to Interstate 6 volt AGM no maintenance batteries.  They are heaver and cost more but they hold their charge longer and no more checking fluid level and refilling.  Make sure your inverter is capable of using AGM type batteries,  My Interstate dealer installed my AGM batteries at no cost.  

There is still battery maintenance with AGM batteries such as making sure the terminals are tight and cleaning any corrosion and dirt.  But the advantage of holding a longer charge and no fluid levels to mess with are worth the expense.   Good luck with whatever you have installed.

Stay well, Stay safe.

Dick

2015 HR Ambassador

Sorry my bad .  They are AMG Batteries NOT AGM.  My Dislexia is kicking in.

Dick

2015 HR Ambassador

Maybe I was right the first time

DIck 2015 HR Ambassador

Guest Tim503

Dick, They are Absorbed Glass Mat so AGM. I bought some "T105 plus" a couple months ago for $125 no core charge and no tax here in OR. I ended up getting 16 but I am on solar. I still believe they are the way to go. They take abuse as in high charge rates I do mine now at 24 volt and have an IOTA for the house 12 volt using a Magnum pure sine wave but doing 12 volt you can charge them at 15 (14.8) to 90% and an equalize is 16.2 volts which saves on gas and time if using generator in a dry camp situation. It all depends on your usage of course. The maintenance is once a month or 2 with a gallon of distilled Walmart water and a funnel. I got 7 years on my last set. Since they go outside in a compartment the no gassing feature of AGM is not necessary and doing a little battery cleaning and maintenance is what it is all about.  I'm concerned too with theft as I did have a set stolen so I don't want the most expensive.

Make sure and buy in multiples of 4. If you do abuse these you won't be out much but they take a lot of abuse. They use them in golf carts.

On 6/10/2020 at 5:21 PM, Dan Lane said:

I finally determined my house batteries are indeed dead and need to replace them.  The current ones are Interstate 6 VDC.  Do you have one you prefer?

On 6/12/2020 at 7:41 AM, Tim503 said:

Dick, They are Absorbed Glass Mat so AGM. I bought some "T105 plus" a couple months ago for $125 no core charge and no tax here in OR. I ended up getting 16 but I am on solar. I still believe they are the way to go. They take abuse as in high charge rates I do mine now at 24 volt and have an IOTA for the house 12 volt using a Magnum pure sine wave but doing 12 volt you can charge them at 15 (14.8) to 90% and an equalize is 16.2 volts which saves on gas and time if using generator in a dry camp situation. It all depends on your usage of course. The maintenance is once a month or 2 with a gallon of distilled Walmart water and a funnel. I got 7 years on my last set. Since they go outside in a compartment the no gassing feature of AGM is not necessary and doing a little battery cleaning and maintenance is what it is all about.  I'm concerned too with theft as I did have a set stolen so I don't want the most expensive.

Make sure and buy in multiples of 4. If you do abuse these you won't be out much but they take a lot of abuse. They use them in golf carts.

The Trojan  105 are the best for the money in my opinion.  Add the Water Miser battery caps and it will cut your maintenance by an estimated 50%.  Again in my experience and opinion.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2020 at 4:21 PM, Dan Lane said:

I finally determined my house batteries are indeed dead and need to replace them.  The current ones are Interstate 6 VDC.  Do you have one you prefer?

Do you prefer flooded or a AGM?  If you look at Trojan remember they have two T-105s, flooded and AGM.  They also have a GC2 size, the 6V-AGM but it is a dual purpose battery so I would shy away from it.

How about lithium?  Costco has a sale on a two pack of Lion UT1300 12v 105 AH for $1399 and free shipping.  Two of those will about do the same job as 4 T-105s.

Ed
2005 HR Ambassador

Regarding Lion UT1300 12v 105 AH / Costco, as of today, June 29th, they're on sale at Costco for $750.00 each.

A GREAT Lithium battery resource, is a YouTuber, Will Prowse, he's also a great solar resource as well.  Listed below are a couple of Will's reviews of the Lion Energy battery:

1. Lion Energy, older version/model (1200 Watt, vs the current 1300 Watt being sold at Costco)

2. Lion Energy vs Battle born:   

Edited by sjsmith2262@hotmail.com
forgot to add the 2nd video