Replacing Norcold 1200 with Residential Refrigerator in 2001 Signature

Mike Wahl

One of the many items we had on our list of updates was to remove the Norcold 1200 and install at residential refrigerator.  After purchasing the coach a 3 years ago and seeing some of the photos of coach fires and problems keeping items cold it was on the short list for this year.  Last fall on our way home from our last outing the Norcold alarmed with a no electric alarm.  We were a coupled hours from home so I just pulled the power to the control board to shut the alarm off and emptied it when we got home.    We were leaving to visit our Daughter in Austria a few days later and I wanted to get the coach ready for winter and put away in storage before we left, so I didn't have time to research the issue.  My plan was to go and check it out in storage this winter, however that didn't happen either.

This spring was busy and I just got the coach home a few weeks back.  When I opened the electrical on the back of the fridge I found the main control board had shorted and started to burn.  Thank goodness it wasn't any worse.  

image.thumb.jpeg.836e1ca8b1f1a841b0bf014a817bc1da.jpeg

There was also burned spot in the cabinet like others have seen.   

image.thumb.jpeg.525fd8b708075c942967941756be2b5b.jpeg

I have the Norcold removed and my new GE GWE19JYLFS was delivered this morning and we have it in the coach.  I has some work to do to get it ready to slide into place but it looks to be a easy fit.  All the other post on here have been very helpful in determine what to do. 

I have my old Norcold out and if anyone would like any of the parts before I scrap it please let me know.  I would send them to you for the cost of shipping.

14 minutes ago, birdshill123 said:

When I look up the dimensions of a 1200 norcold it is 36 wide. The Samsung rf18 is only 33 wide. Why are users not installing full width fridge?

I have seen Mike Hughes' Samsung install and it is a beautiful fit  but I think it was a bit tall requiring accommodation.  Not sure about width issues.  The big issues when I shopped to maybe convert to Residential (which I would have done it the Extended Warranty Company hadn't come through with a brand new Norcold) seemed to be depth and height  My BRAND NEW Nocold 1210 says Width is like 32 3/4 inches or the like and so maybe the 36" comes from the width of the face which does not slide in to the cabinet or allows for Hing Swing out,  although I have never measured the clearances on ours.

I do mot have a fridge to measure but I googled and that is where I got  that 36 number.  But you are right it is 33.  I am spoiled as our Dynasty has a factory Jenn air and it is 36. When it died I was able to drop the height and the new fridge is 22 cu. ft. 

Huge!