Kongsberg service facility recommendation

Hi all!

I am having a few issues that after reading a lot of post, it seems to be associated with the Kongsberg system. The cruise control stoped working and also the rear camera. I me asking for a repair facility on the east coast that can repair this. I am headinG North to Maine and hope to find a facility that can help fix this. Appreciate your recommendations. 

If the wipers also don't work via smart wheel controls, very likely you have a failing 5 volt supply from the Kongsberg CCM.  This is a well known issue and there is a fix. Attached is a link to the repair procedure.

As for a repair facility, about the only shop that might be able to help is M&M in Ohio.  This system is obsolete and repair parts are very very hard to find.

• Like 1

There is no fuse associated with the cruise control function.  If ALL other SmartWheel functions work, AND your engine brake switch is turned off, then the cruise control should work.  If you are having a problem with the SmartWheel wiper controls, then your problem is the 5 volt supply from the CCM.  By any chance did anyone install a separate dash switch to work the wipers?

If all your dash switches work and all the SmartWheel switches work except for the cruise control, and at one time it did work then you'll have to find a shop with the Cummins Insite software to see if the cruise control is actually being turned on or if the engine ECM is getting a signal from either the engine brake switch or one of the two cruise control sensors on the brake air lines to turn off the cruise control.  On your coach, the cruise control is on the engine J1939 databus.  There are no separate wires for the cruise control going to the engine computer.

• Like 1

Before going to a shop that has the Cummins Insite software, there are a few more things you can do first. 

One would be to measure voltages on the two output wires from the smartwheel keypads to be sure the CCM is seeing the correct voltage code to turn on the cruise control. 

Also, are the rear stop lights working properly when you step on the brakes?

• Like 1

I am Meeting a friend tomorrow who is a helicopter mechanic and knows electrical systems. He is going to check the volts and try to trace the issue. I also ordered a new 5v converter in case that one is bad. I’ll check the items you mentioned and reply once he has checked It out. So grateful for your advice and help. Hopefully I can make it work being this is the beginning of a 2 month trip. Have a great day and thanks again. 

23 minutes ago, Frank McElroy said:

Are you also able to flash your headlights and rear marker lights from the smartwheel?

Are you able to use a digital voltmeter?

One last thing my friend ask if there is a wiring diagram for this coach anywhere online? This was Ray Marleys coach and maybe someone in Monacoers has it. 

I was thinking that it might have been Ray's coach - I'm very familiar with it.  Below is a link to a set of wiring schematics.  Click on the top title and NOT where is says download this file to get an option to download all pages in one document.  Be sure to tell your friend that you have a chassis multiplex coach.  He should know what that means.

In addition, have your friend write down the data he gets on your coach for values shown in table 1 in the attached SmartWheel troubleshooting guide.  The two data wires feed an analog voltage signal to the CCM module in the front run electrical bay.  These voltages are critical for the smartwheel functions to work.  The CCM replaced the smartwheel control module.

8 hours ago, Serendipity said:

I am Meeting a friend tomorrow who is a helicopter mechanic and knows electrical systems. He is going to check the volts and try to trace the issue. I also ordered a new 5v converter in case that one is bad. I’ll check the items you mentioned and reply once he has checked It out. So grateful for your advice and help. Hopefully I can make it work being this is the beginning of a 2 month trip. Have a great day and thanks again. 

One last thing my friend ask if there is a wiring diagram for this coach anywhere online? This was Ray Marleys coach and maybe someone in Monacoers has it. 

Good Luck.

• 1 month later...

I have too installed the 5 volt fix on the Smart Wheel, as the CCM module was starting to fail - causing intermittent button function on the Smart Wheel.

Additional info here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1377453912350209/permalink/6636024779826403/

image.jpeg

Edited by eric2008sig
Added download file video

10 hours ago, eric2008sig said:

I have too installed the 5 volt fix on the Smart Wheel, as the CCM module was starting to fail - causing intermittent button function on the Smart Wheel.

Additional info here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1377453912350209/permalink/6636024779826403/

image.jpeg

Eric - Thank you for posting this great how to video.

Calling all folks with a Kongsberg CCM Chassis Multiplex Coach - it's not a matter of if it's just a matter of when the 5VDC supply feeding the smart wheel keypads will become weak and fail.  When that happens, all your smart wheel controls won't work - no wipers - no cruise control.

If I had a chassis multiplex coach this would be a must do PM item on the top of my todo list. 

This simple inexpensive fix has already solved problems for dozens of coach owners.

• Like 2