ATS help needed!

theturbinedoctor

My '98 Dynasty has a gremlin!  And, I know this post doesn't really belong in "generators" but there is no ATS category.  Anyway, I have 240VAC shore power that has (I assume) always worked properly in the past.   I recently checked a non-working receptacle in the engine bay and it read about 70VAC L/N, so I figured there was a neutral issue somewhere.  Then one day, after returning from a failed vacation to Colorado, I plugged in at my shore power pedestal and saw that the inverter wasn't operating.  Started checking voltage and saw that the ATS was not closing in.  I was reading 240 L1 to L2, 240 L1 to N, and zero volts L2 to N.  All three phases read 120 to ground.  I figured the ATS control board was out, so I ordered a used one from eBay - same thing.  Ordered a brand new complete ATS - same thing!!!!  I checked every single connection (pedestal, both ends of shore power cable, pedestal primary wiring at sub panel in my shop), and every one was good.  I thought there must be a neutral or grounding issue, as the ground isn't actually connected to earth until the main 200A service at my house.  So, I beat a 8' 5'8" copper ground rod in right at the pedestal (think I went thru a flippin' tree root, because it took about 90 minutes with a 12 lb. sledge) and now have a good, solid ground connection - nothing changed.  And to confirm, the neutral and ground are NOT bonded except for at the 200A main service.

So, if anyone could offer any advice, that would be great.  Or, can someone check voltage on top of a working ATS that is on 240VAC shore power, and see what all the readings are?

Edited by theturbinedoctor

Sorry, scratch this whole post.  At some point (don't recall when, I put about 200 hours of work into this beast over the summer), I had disassembled and reassembled the male plug on the shore power cable, and didn't get the strain relief clamp tight enough.  One line and the neutral conductor had pulled most of the way out, and were making intermittent contact with their terminals.  I say "intermittent" because I did check and found proper 240VAC at the female end of the shore power cable, plenty of times.  So, I still can't explain the overall issue, but it is now fixed.

Edited by theturbinedoctor
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, theturbinedoctor said:

Sorry, scratch this whole post.  At some point (don't recall when, I put about 200 hours of work into this beast over the summer), I had disassembled and reassembled the male plug on the shore power cable, and didn't get the strain relief clamp tight enough.  One line and the neutral conductor had pulled most of the way out, and were making intermittent contact with their terminals.  I say "intermittent" because I did check and found proper 240VAC at the female end of the shore power cable, plenty of times.  So, I still can't explain the overall issue, but it is now fixed.

Great.  The following is something that a lot of folks have asked to have reposted over the years.  If you have gone back over the plug and corr3cted some things, then as much wotk as you hav3 put in, finishing the job based on what folks have learned and really getting the terminals tight and waterproofing it might be advisable.  This works and no one that has done it this way has ever had a problem…I know…i did it this way…

My OEM 09 plug failed maybe 5 or so years.  I had a NEW Camco 50Amp power plug.  The OEMS fail….and if the internal crimp is failing….that is not GOOD.  Order the plug from Amazon.  Also order a tube of Dow Corning 4 Insulating compound.  Cut off the end.  Attach the new plug.  Go over the screws about 3 times.  Use a large handle screwdriver and a rough (red) shop towel.  Wrap two wraps of the ckoth over the handle.  Then “rare down” on it.  Give it all you got.  Put the plug in a padded vise or clamped.  Then use your non dominant (usually left) hand to push down on the top of the handle and your right hand (rag around the handle) and lay into it.  An average Male with good grip strength will be sble to generate the 40 inch pounds required.  Do it again.  Then put on the cover.  Use it for a few weeks….then retorque.  Then FILL the cavity with the Dow Corning.  That is as close to a molded or waterproof olug as you can get.

• Like 1