Chassis selection help

JDCrow

On 11/4/2023 at 3:25 PM, JDCrow said:

Thanks everyone, 

As far as the accident, we were headed north on Hwy 95 about 40 mil out of Hawthorne, where we were stopping for the night. 

Was driving along and saw 3 semis in a row. The last one came over into our lane to pass the other two. I moved over has fast as I could, hit the gravel and as the truck was going by us the edge pavement must have caught the jeep and we veered out of control and hit the trailer axles head on.  It spun us around and snapped the hitch so the jeep came around and stuck the passenger side as well. 

2 trucks left, the one that hit us went 1/2 mile and couldn’t go any further as we broke his axles from the frame. Jerk (I’m being nice) never got out of his truck to even see if we were alive. 

Absolutely the stuff of nightmares.  So glad that you came out of it without apparent serious injuries.  Absolutely get legal council on this, you could have debilitating issues months down the line, and in any case, this guy could have killed you. Unbelievable that he didn't come to check on the situation, I hope the cops drug tested him, sounds like he something to hide. 

• Like 1

Speaking from experience, I would tell you that the length of time it takes, and the amount of money you get in the end, aren’t worth the headaches of a lawsuit. When the 87-year-old man rear-ended me in my Z06 and totaled it, I ended up having surgery on my shoulder to repair it… The lawsuit took three years to settle. In the end, I got the maximum legal amount in Idaho, $100,000, and when all was said and done, and everyone got their slice of the pie, I ended up with $32,000. It wasn’t worth the headache and the aggravation of opposing counsel digging into every facet of my life and military health records, in my opinion. 

• Sad 1

Only advice I have is to not sign anything until you are fairly compensated.

Back +35 years ago my wife was T-boned by a drunk driver.  Totaled her small ranger pickup, she had bruises but nothing serious but she did miss some work.  We agreed to meet with their insurance agent and settled on fair price for the totaled truck and we signed off on that.  After about a week I called the agent to discuss compensation for lost work, found out that buried within the paper work was a full release from further compensation.  The insurance agent misrepresented what he had us sign, I blame myself for trusting him.  

Under the circumstances I'd consider legal representation unless you are comfortable pouring over the documents. 

• Like 1