Torqueing Lug Nuts

LarryD

When we first purchased our coach I had a hell of a time getting the lugnuts off due to whomever worked on it prior.  I had to resort to my 3/4" impact and a lot of patience.

Since then, when installing my wheels, I use my Proto 3/4" torque wrench that has a 120-600 ft/lb. range and it makes the 450- ft/lb application nice and easy.  Although I've got enough a$! to not need a cheater bar.  🤣

proto.thumb.jpg.37774622aeed18cbfb92794adc8efff6.jpg

22 hours ago, jacwjames said:

Earlier this year I was trying to change blades on our Toro zero turn, I could not get the blades off so I went over to my neighbor and he let me borrow his Milwaukee impact.  Darn near broke by wrist when I tried the first one, came off like butter!

Nice to have a neighbor who is in to cars, he has all the toys and freely lets people borrow them. 

Keep that gentleman as a friend! My neighbor and I are those guys. 😂 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/12/2023 at 10:15 AM, dl_racing427 said:

I wonder why they don't include torque settings in reverse?
My coach has left hand lug nuts on one side, so this would be of limited usefulness to me.

It says full power in reverse in the literature. 

On 12/12/2023 at 10:15 AM, dl_racing427 said:

I wonder why they don't include torque settings in reverse?
My coach has left hand lug nuts on one side, so this would be of limited usefulness to me.

Left hand threaded nuts are found on Budd, aka stud piloted wheels with the tapered lug nuts that went out of style later in the 90's.  Most newer trucks have hub piloted wheels that have a flat nut instead of a taper, and all right hand threads.  So most battery impacts are designed for full power reverse to break loose nuts, and some will have adjustable torque settings in forward.

• Like 2