Where is the overhead defrost fan located?

My 09 holiday Rambler Navigator has a overhead front window fan that blows air down onto the front window. It is quite noisy and I am trying to find it to lube it up but I can not find how to get to it. Any help out there?

In my Dynasty it’s mounted top center behind the TV, a real pain to access before I replaced the tV and installed a folding tV bracket.  Now I can release the TV and swing off to one side 

still hard to get back in there, but possible. 

4 hours ago, Garry Donohue said:

In my 07 Dynasty, it’s in the center overhead cabnet. There is an access hatch. Remove the two screws, reach your hand in and reach down. Easy access. 

The 09 navigator does not have that cabinet.  Thanks

3 hours ago, LakeBob said:

In my Dynasty it’s mounted top center behind the TV, a real pain to access before I replaced the tV and installed a folding tV bracket.  Now I can release the TV and swing off to one side 

still hard to get back in there, but possible. 

Thanks I will dig deeper

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2024 at 4:37 PM, Kent Madison said:

The 09 navigator does not have that cabinet.

I have an 09 Monaco Dynasty, which is probably exactly like yours, or nearly so.  I think Garry meant "cabinet" to read "TV cabinet".  My TV cabinet is front and center over the dash.  In the back of my TV, between the woodwork and shades, is an access panel.  Mine is wood and snap-in, although I have heard that some may have screws.  Behind the panel is the blower motor with ducts going in all directions, including driver's front corner and passenger's front corner.  The motor is screwed/anchored onto the horizontal ceiling over the front shades.  If you really want to get the motor out, you may be required to remove the TV- if you have one.

If this does not describe your setup, see if you can include a photo of what you have.

p.s.  With the current age of mine, I am finding more and more "permanently lubricated" electric motor bearings squealing due to lack of lubrication.  If you are skilled, you may be able to force lubrication without motor surgery, but my experience is that it only lasts a short while.  For your windshield blower, perhaps that will last the rest of the winter.  Otherwise, the longest surviving solution may be to pull it out, get dimensions or a part number, then replace.  ebay seems to have quite a few fan blower motors.

Edited by DBRV.0

10 hours ago, Kent Madison said:

Thanks. I will look into that area.

Kent: after thinking about your situation overnight, I would suggest that it may be easiest to remove or service the motor by removing the TV, if indeed you have one.  By removing, you will have convenient access instead of working with lots of encumbrances.  Here is a summary of the steps I took to remove mine:

I removed the rear access panel.  I removed the cabinet speaker and camera because they were in the way.  I unplugged the TV and all of the HDMI cables and sound cables so when the TV was released, wiring would not hold it back.  I removed four 10mm bolts on the rear of the TV that held it up against a metal mounting bracket.

I believe your coach and mine were both built in the same facility, so I expect both to share a lot.  In mine, I have found that the multi-speed fan blower under the kitchen sink is the same as the multi-speed overhead windshield/dash blower you reference.

Coincidentally, yesterday I removed my kitchen motor for replacement.  The motor is a 4 wire motor with a 5/16" double shaft.  The following image is from the motor body.

image.png.97436128051d404adf3facd1d669035b.png

Of the 4 motor wires, black is negative and the other 3 are positive.  In my testing, my voltmeter indicated that all of the 3 were operating at 12V, not 24V.  Perhaps the coach builder wants the motor to turn slower?  I don't know the answer, but I ordered the following: https://www.ebay.com/itm/292361083321

In a week, I should find out if I will end up with a good replacement.

That is where I found mine also. I took it out and cleaned it up and re-oiled it and it is better but still quite load. I wrapped the squirrel cages in foam and did not screw it back in place as the motor noise traveled into the wood and made it loader.  I don't like the way that it comes on high only when the defrost is turned on even if you don't need it. There are lots of times that you do not need the extra air movement but still need the defrost. There is a 2 speed switch on the side panel that runs that fan, but you cannot slow the fan to medium when the defrost is on. Has anyone just by passed the defrost control part and just let the rocker switch be the power source?

Here are a few pictures.

IMG_20240128_094343_409.jpg

IMG_20240128_094705_872.jpg

IMG_20240128_094715_252.jpg

IMG_20240128_094736_207.jpg

IMG_20240128_094744_375.jpg

23 hours ago, Kent Madison said:

Has anyone just by passed the defrost control part and just let the rocker switch be the power source?

Hmm.  That is an excellent idea.  While my cabinet is open, perhaps I should look into that on mine.  I'm too new to know the details about how defrost affects it.  Thanks.

On my unit I can run the top fan on the two different setting in any position of the heater/AC switch except for defrost. On defrost it overrides the rocker switch and I can not control it at all. Is yours the same?

20 minutes ago, Kent Madison said:

Is yours the same?

Apparently not.  I am stationary, but tried everything with the ignition 'on'.  For mine, the Lo/High fan speed control at the left of the driver controls the defrost/windshield fan at all times, regardless of the dashboard HVAC settings - specifically the Defrost option.