Did a search here - nothing specific to this AFAICT.

Heading into some very strong headwinds in the rain this weekend, and I get some fairly large drips running down the inside of the windshields - both sides. Towels on the dash get us home - the towels were pretty wet when we got home.

At home, I call a local RV windshield shop thinking that my 23+ year-old windshield gaskets have seen their day.  The young lady on the phone was very knowledgeable and tells me that the 5 running lights above the windshield could be the problem - they see that a lot. She also says that they can't get OEM gaskets any longer and the ones that they can get just aren't as good - so keep the originals in place if possible.

My problem is that I'm 70 (really don't see it - when did that happen?) and really don't want to hang off the roof to reseal the forward running lights (how do you reseal them exactly?) and climbing a ladder from the front doesn't work for me because of the height and the rearward slope of the windshields.  If I had a scaffold, life would be simpler.

I'd like to reseal the running lights before I incur a $300 service call: I'm open to suggestions.

I have had the lights out and the they fitted into wells in the fibre glass the only opening is a small hole for the wire to come thru, it won’t hurt to run a bead around them but I would be suspect that the window is the issue mine was leaking as well and I got a tube of proper caulk from a windshield place and re did the windshield problem solved. If you have mobility issues get a pro to do it it is extremely messy and difficult to work with 

• Like 1

Use a water hose to spray different parts of windshield to locate leak. If you have more than one leak it is most  likelyw NOT the lights above. They still makethe gasket as I had mine replaced. I doubt if it is a bad gasket. The body on mh twists and the glass moves. Where are you located?

23 minutes ago, Robert U said:

Use a water hose to spray different parts of windshield to locate leak. If you have more than one leak it is most  likelyw NOT the lights above. They still makethe gasket as I had mine replaced. I doubt if it is a bad gasket. The body on mh twists and the glass moves. Where are you located?

The windshield shop is coming to check for leaks by the pressure method you suggest. They will do a more refined spray than I can do as they have the equipment for that. They will reseal the windshield if they find it leaks.  They'll hit the running lights at the top too but won't touch them.

I'm in So Cal - La Verne, Pomona, San Dimas area - 91750.

I'm told the OEM gasket is no longer available - only aftermarket. They really try not to replace the gasket unless absolutely necessary.

On my Windsor I have a gutter across the top of the windshield.  About 3 years ago I was getting water coming in from the top of the windshield on the inside.  Actually took it to a shop and parked it in their parking lot and the owner went out and checked after a heavy rain but he couldn't find a problem.  So I brought it home and continued to see a leak during heavy rains.  So I looked closer and finally saw the problem.  

The gutter was actually attached to the side of the coach using 3M type two sided tape, a portion of this had come loose and it let water get into the void between the gutter and windshield gasket.  No were to go except find the path of least resistance which sometime ended up on the inside.  Since the gutter is blended into the windshield gasket with the black type caulk you couldn't see it from the ground.  I had to get above it and just happen to see the separation. 

To fix I had to pull the gutter loose from above the windshield, clean it up good, clean the side of the coach, and then use the 3m tape to put the gutter back in position.  Then used the black caulk above the gutter and some to blend it in with the windshield gasket.  It hasn't leaked since. 

Back in 2012 I had to redo the gutter, pulled it completely off, cleaned it up, and reattached it to the side of the coach and gasket.  I should have looked at this first but since I didn't see a problem from the ground I assumed it was OK.  I guess that's what happens when you ASSUME.

Edited by jacwjames

Yes, I have that gutter as well. Your experience will come into play as I move forward.

I had no idea that the "gutter" was a separate piece from the windshield gasket. Interesting.

Geez, I hope my problem is as simple ast yours.

Thanks.