Outside Key Pad

Go to solution Solved by Venturer,

The Essex KE-1701 keypad on our coach is dead. There is no response when touching the pad. Before I order a new one at $340, is there a way to be certain it is bad? The coach also has the Viper security system that I have no experience or knowledge of its operation. I suspect they are tied together, but again, I have little info on either. I would like to take it to someone or a shop that understands both systems and get them working if possible. I'm in Lake Havasu City, AZ now and traveling back to WI in May. Any suggestions?  

Edited by Venturer

If you are not getting any lights or beeps from the pad then more than likely it is dead.  You can get access to the back of the keypad under the armrest on the passenger side.  Checking to make sure you are getting power to the keypad will verify.  If you don't have 12 volts going to it then check fuses, etc.  I'm going to assume the viper alarm is under the dash access panel, but that is just a guess.  The key fob system should be under the dash access panel as well.  Do a search of this forum as there is a good discussion on exactly how to do a replacement.  I changed out my keypad and the keyfobs about 11 months ago.  Just as a note... the two systems lock and unlock the doors, etc... but a not an integrated system.  They are two separate systems.  At least that is the case on my 2003.

This was the name of the thread that I followed when I did this fix.  It is really a nice option to be able to open/lock the doors with the keypad or fob. 

Key Fob Programming - 2003 Executive

I don't need the FOB but would like the keypad to work. When I first looked into it, I found the reset button and it beeped three times. I then tried to enter the access code into the keypad, however there was no tones when numbers were entered. Is this an indication the system was powered but the keypad is bad? That being the case, I will order a new one. The Viper alarm is under the dash. I don't really need that so am not concerned with getting it operational, as I do not have the FOB for it either.

Yes, I would say that if the reset button is beeping, then it is getting power and the keypad is bad.  Some here have reprogrammed keyfobs, but I just replaced the box and got two new keyfobs that were already programmed to it.  Was a fairly easy swap out and a nice convenience.  If you don't want keyfobs, then just replace the keypad and you should be good to go.  I did find the new keypad was larger and required a larger hole to be made, but that may not be the case for you if you have the newer model keypad.

FWIW, Viper is a product name that I have been using for 21 years.  I don't know if it is the same as the Viper you reference, but it is possible.  In 2003, I purchased a diesel pickup truck.  My son was working for Best Buy in their vehicle installation bay and offered to install a third-party remote-start system, named Viper.  I still use it.  The system can be "inserted" into a vehicle, with line voltage sensing and possibly with additional relays.  In your MH, perhaps a previous owner decided to circumvent an expensive non-working keypad with a remote (FOB) system to perform the same function as the keypad - but maybe even more.  My FOB can activate my truck at least 400 feet away.

[edit:] In addition to remote start, my Viper system is also my truck's security system, as well as door lock/unlock.

image.png.89d44043d47f64dacbb31d2f007cffee.png

Edited by DBRV.0