I’ve been working through my punch list since getting back from our last trip.   Today it’s the wax valve.    I’ve seen several threads about this, I went with the one from the UK, and installed it into the top pipe of the radiator instead of the thermostat tube.

This was pretty easy, in my opinion,  just a few nuts and hose clamps then a little welding and putting it all back together.   Putting it back in took less than 30 minutes at lunch.   

I will add the coolant back tonight and hook up the hydraulic lines.   

Having it in the radiator pipe make the lines not need to move far at all.

Granville Barker 

06ED3F6B-5927-4256-808B-0734B7898CF6.jpeg

1213189A-3A95-40F2-B25B-613B95613E31.jpeg

Here’s a pic of the valve mounted and connected.   The coach is so much quieter now without the fan on full blast, I can’t wait to see the fuel savings!   I honestly have no idea how many years / miles it’s been running full speed.   I am sure there are a lot of others in the same boat and didn’t know it either.

9D14ADCA-6DEC-4DA2-98FC-32027EB077DD.jpeg

69B7E28F-5A05-47CC-B9B5-0AA766602E2E.jpeg

5F224BA1-8DB1-408D-A49A-E71E50F53045.jpeg

I noticed that you have added some sort of flow control valve, I assume to be able to adjust the fan speed on the low rpm side.

I had to deal with this when I had my radiator replaced, the Cummins shop screwed my thermovalve up and I had to replace.  It would run wide open when the engine thermostat opened and wouldn't slow down until the engine was shut off and cooled down.  I notice this when I drove it home from the shop and after help from Monaco tech support determined it was the thermovalve and I ordered one from Whitehouse products and replace and it went back to normal operation.  When I tore the old valve down I found pieces of fabric in it, probably where Cummins stuffed rages in the hose ends or valve itself.

Mine seems to work as it should now as the fan runs at a low speed and then gradually ramps up as the temps get higher. 

9 hours ago, jacwjames said:

I noticed that you have added some sort of flow control valve, I assume to be able to adjust the fan speed on the low rpm side.

Yes, that’s a hydraulic needle valve to make the fan spin a little for the dash a/c.

Edited by granvillebarker
Typo

• 5 weeks later...

We have been traveling again for the past week.   If you do the wax valve, don’t be afraid to get things too tight.   After the third time of retightening everything the my hydraulic leaks were fixed.   (Poor toad, he got the worst of it.)

Anyway, at 4.5 turns out, coolant temp has been 185-192 traveling in south Florida.

The really awesome part though is MPG is up .9MPG from 6.5 to 7.4!!!

Granville Barker 

05 Dynasty