Rear laundry venting

johncvandoren@gmail.com

For those who have installed the laundry at the rear bathroom wall (vs side wall), how did you vent the dryer?  I have drilled the 4' hole in the back wall, into what appears to be an enclosed space.  Now I need to get the hot, moist air & lint out into open space or to the ground, without drilling a hole through the rear cap (and the "Knight" lettering).  Any suggestions (and pictures?) would be greatly appreciated.

John

06 Knight 40DFD

Since you already drilled the 4" hole, you're somewhat limited as to where you go from here. Can you install an 90 degree elbow and vent it downward beneath the engine? Seems like the simplest solution. There should be enough room but it'll be a bear to clean when necessary. Use solid piping and not the corrugated collapsible stuff.....Dennis

• Like 1

Yea, I know I had to drill straight out from the dryer vent, as I didn’t want to go out through the side wall of the RV.  I am assembling the various elbows, baffle, and connections to carry it down froM within the cavity.  The challenge is how to get the elbow up into that cavity.  Once the elbow is at the back side of the 4” hole, I have a course threaded coupling to connect it through the hole. I won’t be able to get one arm, let alone two, Into that cavity, without cutting a wider access hole in the laundry back wall.  Just wondering if anyone else has done this, so I can learn from them.

Thank you.

john

Guest Ray Davis

Is there another wall where you could put an access door?   You may want to access that area again without removing the washer / dryer

19 minutes ago, Dennis H said:

John, I would advise against using the accordian style exhaust. It collects too much lint and that increases the chance of a fire and/or lessened drying capability. A straight pipe is preferred if you can manage that.....Dennis

Logistically, I need to be able to pull the tube down, attach to soffit vent cap, then push assembly bacK up & Affix to underside.  So I’m thinking semi-rigid aluminum tubing.  If i can figure out how to use straight solid pipe, I will. Thanks for your advice.

John

• 4 weeks later...

John, we originally "assumed" this was a new install. Is this assumption correct? If not, then the obvious question is whether your dryer is vented or ventless. There are both kinds but very different animals. You mention the cavity is totally enclosed. This would either indicate your dryer is ventless, again assuming it's a factory install. Please clarify. Did you abandon the hole you drilled in the cavity earlier?....Thanks ....Dennis

Dennis, it’s a new install of a vented Splendide.  My 06 Knight was pre-wired & plumbed for a ventless unit, so I’m trying to find the correct path for the vent through the back closet wall. It is the cavity behind the wall that is enclosed.  There’s about 16” between that wall and the rear cap, but I don’t want to drill through the cap, let alone the emblems there-on.

7 hours ago, johncvandoren@gmail.com said:

Dennis, it’s a new install of a vented Splendide.  My 06 Knight was pre-wired & plumbed for a ventless unit, so I’m trying to find the correct path for the vent through the back closet wall. It is the cavity behind the wall that is enclosed.  There’s about 16” between that wall and the rear cap, but I don’t want to drill through the cap, let alone the emblems there-on.

Gotcha! Mine is in a cabinet on the passenger side in the bedroom next to the clothes closet. It vents through the side of the coach and is painted to match the graphics so it's hardly noticeable. Only thing I'd suggest is measure twice, cut once. It should be as straight a shot out as possible. Lint likes to catch on things and can present a fire hazard if not kept clean. Easy thing to forget about.....Dennis

• Like 1

Somewhat unrelated to the topic, but important to Monaco owners. My coach was 10 years old when I bought it from original owner. I found the dryer vent as it exited the coach, wasn’t sealed or properly secured. While washing the coach, I found this. A good reason to wash your coach now and then. 

The plastic vent sits on untreated wood. Mine was rotted. I replaced what I could and sealed it well. 

Guest Ray Davis
3 hours ago, johncvandoren@gmail.com said:

I’m noT going to vent out the side.  I’m venting straight out the back of the closet/laundry into a cavity between the closet and the rear cap about 16” to the rear.  What I’m trying to learn is how to open that cavity at the bottom so the exhaust will escape into the open air.

John

For what it's worth,  on my coach that's above where the exhaust and muffler is,  Just saying

Can you cut a large hole on the inside to work through then cover it with a panel.   On my coach that would probably be a side wall in the closet.

Chuck, I appreciate your input. I hadn’t thought of that. The bottom of the hidden cavity is above, behind and isolated from the top of radiator, accessible from the area next to the coolant overflow tank; and 6-8’ above and away from the exhaust which exits down & out the lower left side.  Do you think I’ll still have a problem?  BTW: If I vented out the side, the vent cap Would be directly above the exhaust, albeit 8-10’ up.

Guest Ray Davis
25 minutes ago, Chuck B said:

When the coach is in a forward motion, the air flow passing down the side of the coach is parallel to the road.  When the coach is parked, the engine is off.  When the engine is running in a parked situation, the danger is the exhaust coming into the bedroom.  Chuck B

👍  Sounds pretty reasonable to me

4 hours ago, Chuck B said:

When the coach is in a forward motion, the air flow passing down the side of the coach is parallel to the road.  When the coach is parked, the engine is off.  When the engine is running in a parked situation, the danger is the exhaust coming into the bedroom.  Chuck B

Another good point.  Guess that’s why the air intake is 12’ higher than the exhaust pipe!  Wonder how effective are those spring-loaded baffles designed to allow only one-way air flow?  Will re-measure & consider all options.

Edited by johncvandoren@gmail.com
Augmentation

7 hours ago, Chuck B said:

Not necessarily true. A hole in your muffler can allow gases to enter your vehicle, same as having your tailgate open on an SUV. Air flow doesn't necessarily flow parallel to the vehicle. Back drafting can pull the exhaust fumes into the cabin even while traveling down the road. You won't be using the dryer while in motion so air flow will most likely be flowing INTO the cabin instead of OUT.....Dennis