Rear start switch OK, front key switch sketchy?

wamcneil

Hi all,

For a while now I've felt like starting the engine with the front key switch is a little sketchy.  Most of the time, it works fine, but sometimes I need to turn it to Start 2-3 times before the starter engages. 

While I don't use the rear switch often, it always seems crisp and never had to hit it twice.

So last time I went to start it, just a click from the front. Couldn't get the starter to engage with multiple attempts. I can hear a solenoid/relay clicking in the front run bay, but don't hear anything in the back. 

And then I go back to the rear switch and it turns over just fine. Shut it back down again and now try the front key switch again and now it's working again.

So, in summary, it seems like the key switch and front solenoid/relay are working, and there's some kind of issue between there and the rear run bay. 

I haven't started troubleshooting yet. Any suggestions on where to get started?

Thanks!

Walter

I'm guessing that your '03 probably uses the same key switch as my '02 Signature.  I'm having much the same issue and I believe it's a faulty ignition switch.  If I'm not mistaken, that switch is an off-the-shelf old-style GM.  I'll have the coach back Monday or Tuesday and I'll find out then.

44 minutes ago, Converterjoe said:

I'm guessing that your '03 probably uses the same key switch as my '02 Signature.  I'm having much the same issue and I believe it's a faulty ignition switch.  If I'm not mistaken, that switch is an off-the-shelf old-style GM.  I'll have the coach back Monday or Tuesday and I'll find out then.

Yes, I believe it is a regular GM truck ignition switch. But I'm hearing the front solenoid click, so I'm thinking the problem is not in the ignition switch? Maybe resistance in the switch is giving reduced voltage to the solenoid?

5 minutes ago, Frank Bergamo said:

I'll check that out. The part that really has me puzzled is that it started working normally after having run the engine. Maybe running the engine raised the chassis battery voltage, and maybe the increased voltage is the difference???

Maybe a combination of a sketchy ignition switch and a sketchy solenoid?

Thanks y'all,

Walter