Satelitte Antenna Signals

I have a 2004 Holiday Endeavor Pusher and came originally with Directv system of receiver, KVH Track Vision Antenna, winegard amplied video distribution switch with four outlets.

My problem is Directv has changed the signal type and no longer the old system will receive the new signals.  They said I need to get a H25 receiver with coxial cable in and HDMI cable out to the distribution switch.  Further said, I would need a RF modulator to change the HDMI outgoing signal cable to be able to use the coxial system in the motorhome. I would in fact lose the HD feature and just have normal reception on my old Sony Televisions, no problem for me...

Now the tech comes to install and says that this will not work.   I am confused.  Can anyone relate to having the same systems and how are you making the conversion to the new satelite signals.

Appreciate any help or input.

ljrambler

I have a 2007 Holiday Rambler Endeavor with the same issue from DISH TV.  I have abandoned the system and have gone to a portable system.  I use the DISH Playmaker with the Wally Receiver.  I have gone directly from the coaxial connection to the receiver and added an external 1tb hard drive. It gives me more flexibility if I'm ever stuck where trees block the satellite signal.  I'm very happy with the system.

This is kinda out there, but no way was I going to pay $400 for a board inside my roof's dome that would let it's single LNB work with my Dish Network receiver.  No way.

So . . . . I bought a 3 LNB dish (same as mounted on the house) and mounted it to a 4 legged home built PVC stand, 2 ft out and 2 ft down.  I don't even glue the joints and it folds up flat for storage.  A bit of coax, a $15 satellite beeper, a bit of patience and I'm good for instantaneous HDMI channel changing on 3 satellites.  I imagine you could do the same with DirectTV. 

Now, this isn't for everyone, but I move a lot and can't count on a clear Southern sky when I get there.  The coax plugs into the Cable TV jack back in the power service bay (03 HR Endeavor) and I didn't like the DirectTV receiver location so my Dish receiver sits on top of the video distribution switch. 

Cost was about $100, and no contract.

- bob

bob

On 5/5/2021 at 9:07 PM, cbr046 said:

I bought a 3 LNB dish (same as mounted on the house) and mounted it to a 4 legged home built PVC stand, 2 ft out and 2 ft down.  I don't even glue the joints and it folds up flat for storage. 

bob

Great idea, however often useless when overnight in rest areas or parking lots.

(And a perfect 'thief magnet' when boondocking).

Edited by Mel S - '96 Safari
rewording

1 hour ago, Mel S - '96 Safari said:

Great idea, however often useless when overnight in rest areas or parking lots.

(And a perfect 'thief magnet' when boondocking).

In my case if I'm in a rest area or parking lot I'm sleeping!  But can always watch a movie from the receiver's hard drive (I pre-record stuff for when A.) there's NOTHING to watch or B.) don't have the dish out).

Our event crowds are pretty respectful but I worry more about the Honda 2000 generator than the satellite dish.  The Honda sips gas and is totally quiet inside the coach.  Usually I'm not running much, but the HR consumes a LOT more power than the old Fleetwood, like recharging the battery bank (4 vs 2) at full speed.  Thinking about upgrading to a HF Predator 3500 so I can have the power and still keep the quiet.

Best,

- bob

• 1 year later...

I bought this DISH Network portable satellite to replace a portable dish antenna that was too small for reliable reception. I was only getting signal levels of 10-25 until I installed the 1000.2 antennae. Now I get 35-70 and have no signal issues at all. I used the cheap analog signal finder to align it. 

We've abandoned satellite TV in favor of streaming.  We've got a 5G hotspot in the coach now, that works well in most places and is plenty fast for streaming video and for internet.

There's a software switch in the 5G router that turns off download limits and throttling.

When we're really off grid, we have a Starlink setup that we put up on the rear ladder with a Flagpole buddy pole, which I highly recommend.  Takes about 5 minutes for me to setup.

The 5G works going down the road and in most places.

Dwight

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2022 at 11:02 AM, Dalton07 said:

I bought this DISH Network portable satellite to replace a portable dish antenna that was too small for reliable reception. I was only getting signal levels of 10-25 until I installed the 1000.2 antennae. Now I get 35-70 and have no signal issues at all. I used the cheap analog signal finder to align it. 

Although this RV satellite dish is perfect for DISH’s high-definition programming, it also works splendidly with standard definition channels. However, I must emphasize this product only works with the Western Arc of orbiting satellites. Once can use it for 110, 119, and 129°W DBS.

4 hours ago, Dalton07 said:

Although this RV satellite dish is perfect for DISH’s high-definition programming, it also works splendidly with standard definition channels. However, I must emphasize this product only works with the Western Arc of orbiting satellites. Once can use it for 110, 119, and 129°W DBS.

I use the 1000.4? for Eastern Arc (61.5, 72 and formerly 77).  I probably set it up 2x / month but from Labor Day to Thanksgiving it was weekly (except 2 weekends).

Still finding it hard to watch.  What a bunch of doo-doo these days. 

- bob

• Haha 1