Engine Access

Hi All,  

I searched the forum a bit, but couldn’t find anything and I’m hoping someone might be able to help. I can’t lift the under-bed engine access hatch. I see a latch on each side, but after unlocking them it still won’t budge. There are no visible screw heads, but I suppose they could be buried in the carpet. Any guidance is appreciated. 
(97 Exec, side radiator)

Guest Dive Dive

I don’t have the latches that you do but I will tell you that when I was trying to lift mine I greatly underestimated the seal that hatch has.  It took quite a bit of lift to crack it loose.  

I have the two latches.

Maybe weight on your knee to release the latch 

And I access  the hatch every few months to clean the top side of the engine and do an inspection. 

Yours may never have been open..???

I have no screws. 

But who knows how yours was secured 🤔

Keep prying and trying 

Like the others have said...  undo the latches and make sure you are pulling up on the part that actually moves.  On mine there is a storage compartment in front that does not come up.  It might help having someone lift on each side, but mine opens from just one side.  Take a picture if you don't figure it out.

Thanks all. I have it in for some services and they couldn’t open it either. They’re worried about breaking the lid. I’m going to suggest that they check around the edge with a magnet for screws, and if they don’t find any, go ahead and get the pry bar. My latches look different than those pictured above, and there is also a metal ring/handle on top (toward foot of bed) to pull up on. 

16 hours ago, CaliCruiser said:

Hi All,  

I searched the forum a bit, but couldn’t find anything and I’m hoping someone might be able to help. I can’t lift the under-bed engine access hatch. I see a latch on each side, but after unlocking them it still won’t budge. There are no visible screw heads, but I suppose they could be buried in the carpet. Any guidance is appreciated. 
(97 Exec, side radiator)

Soak them with WD 40.  Bet they are all gunked up underneath.

21 minutes ago, CaliCruiser said:

Thanks all. I have it in for some services and they couldn’t open it either. They’re worried about breaking the lid. I’m going to suggest that they check around the edge with a magnet for screws, and if they don’t find any, go ahead and get the pry bar. My latches look different than those pictured above, and there is also a metal ring/handle on top (toward foot of bed) to pull up on. 

My hing is at the rear of the coach. 

All, both latches are at foot of bed. 

By the storage compartment. 

1 minute ago, Frank Bergamo said:

Can you access it from below with something long to push up on it while someone up top pulls at the same time. A piece of PVC, shovel handle or the like? Hope this helps.

This wait is very frustrating 

Hope the O.P isn't getting charged for not figuring out Two latches.