Fuel filter's for ISB 300 2004 Monaco Cayman

Fuel filters for ISB 300 04 Monaco Cayman
I am looking to replace both my primary and secondary/water separator filters with the correct ones but seem to be getting confusing info from the coaches manuals.

Cummins says only one filter installed on their engine per S/N. there should be only 1 filter Fleetguard FS 19896 water separator and its a 7 micron filter

Monaco owners manual says:

Secondary is as above a Fleetguard FS19869

Primary is Fleetguard 53201P but Cummins says no such animal??? tried 2 different Cummins locations but got the same answer

Monaco manual states that both the Primary and the secondary/water separator filters are 10 microns

So the question is -What should the primary spin on filter be for my 04 Monaco Cayman w Cummins ISB 300 R4R Roadmaster chassis

What's on there now is NAPA :
Primary 3405 which is a 10 micron

Secondary/water separator 3604 and 8 micron but per Monaco should also be a 10 micron.

what should they be?

many of the Monaco coaches have an after market fuel filter set up on them.  One that primes the air and/or water out of the system.  Its a really nice addition, but it can cause the standard Cummins filter in the literature to be different from what is in the Monaco manual.  That may be what is going on with the different filters???  As far as micron size, I'd go with what Cummins recommended.

Ok just went thru the hell of plugged filters and failing lift pump. Here is the filter setup on my '06 Cayman, ISB 300.  Primary filter= 20 micron FS1212    Secondary 5 micron  FS19596. Recommended change is 6 to 12 months. I will be changing mine ever 12 months. The primary has a screw in water separation bowl that screws into the bottom of the primary filter. Don't through that away. Reuse it on new filter. Hope this helps. Good travels!

1 hour ago, nocreek141 said:

Ok just went thru the hell of plugged filters and failing lift pump. Here is the filter setup on my '06 Cayman, ISB 300.  Primary filter= 20 micron FS1212    Secondary 5 micron  FS19596. Recommended change is 6 to 12 months. I will be changing mine ever 12 months. The primary has a screw in water separation bowl that screws into the bottom of the primary filter. Don't through that away. Reuse it on new filter. Hope this helps. Good travels!

Thanks jeff but have some clarification needed_-Per Cummins parts the FS stand for Fuel waster Separator  so what you are running then  is 2 fuel water separator filters. Are these the # from your owners manual or something that you changed?   My book says both should be 10 microns but the PN FS19596 is rated at 7 microns per Cummins parts not the 5 microns you stated nor the 10  my Monaco owners manual says is this correct?

Pete these are the filters that were installed on my coach several weeks ago. There are 2 filters, one is the primary which has the clear water bowl(separation chamber) screwed into the bottom and the secondary which has a sensor connection and fluid drain on the bottom. Both are located on the curb side of coach next to the engine. The primary is lowest one just aft of the drive axle. The secondary is about 2ft. further aft of the primary and about 2ft. higher up on engine than the primary. Another thing is that if you or any one else is changing these, they should be filled with fresh diesel fuel before screwing them on. According to mechanic this alleviates the chances of getting an air lock on main hi-pressure rail pump, which is another story. I would advocate having a set of spares in the coach. I bought a spare Cummins set on Amazon for around $60. A lot cheaper that the $700 bill for the set to be changed on the roadside by Freightliner emergency service mechanic. As for the micron ratings of these filters I can't give you the precise ratings but these are the specified filters by Cummins. Your book, like mine has obsolete numbers. These are the ones now spec'd by Cummins.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I deliberated over the same issue for the filters on my '06 Cayman 300 horsepower ISB. Check your manual carefully you may find that it has a typographical error.  One place it says  S3201P and another place it says 53201P. I think it is actually an S instead of a 5 on the first digit.