Engine Voltage Gauge

My engine voltage gauge has always read high, around 18 volts, although now it looks like it is actually reading off the gauge so high.

It's hard to get in there and measure the actually voltage on the gauge, but the voltage to the batteries, at the batteries, when the engine is running, is about 13.5v to 14v DC, which I think is fairly normal when charging.

The voltage at the gauge with the key on, but the engine not running, is about 16, and about 18+ when the engine is running, so I think everything is normal except the gauge. 

Is this gauge adjustable (i.e. is there a reostat that I can tweek to lower the reading?

I'm thinking of just buying a digital voltage gauge that would plug in to my cigarette lighter socket, and use it. Anyone see an issue with this?

I guess I can also just buy any 2" voltage gauge to replace this one, right? I'm thinking a digital one would be easiest to read.

Thanks,

Bill

Voltage Gauge pic.JPG

Edited by Corkman

46 minutes ago, Corkman said:

My engine voltage gauge has always read high, around 18 volts, although now it looks like it is actually reading off the gauge so high.

It's hard to get in there and measure the actually voltage on the gauge, but the voltage to the batteries, at the batteries, when the engine is running, is about 13.5v to 14v DC, which I think is fairly normal when charging.

The voltage at the gauge with the key on, but the engine not running, is about 16, and about 18+ when the engine is running, so I think everything is normal except the gauge. 

Is this gauge adjustable (i.e. is there a reostat that I can tweek to lower the reading?

I'm thinking of just buying a digital voltage gauge that would plug in to my cigarette lighter socket, and use it. Anyone see an issue with this?

I guess I can also just buy any 2" voltage gauge to replace this one, right? I'm thinking a digital one would be easiest to read.

Thanks,

Bill

Voltage Gauge pic.JPG

Your thinking correctly 

Good viable options 

All of them personal choise 

I think it is fairly safe to say that your dash gauge is reading high.  These are not super accurate gauges.  Mine reads high, but not that high.  If you have read voltage at the battery/alternator, then you can say that the dash voltage is not going to be higher.  It is a matter of which gauge is most accurate.  Almost any would be more accurate than the dash gauge.  Personally, I've taken a mental note of where the gauge reads, when it's at nominal 12.5 Volts and then when it's charging at around 14 Volts, and just use the existing gauge.  It is not likely to further deteriorate, without gross failure (won't read at all).