MCD guru needed

Front shade will not program with the ignition on.  Ignition off and the shade works.  During programing attempt we are not getting the beeps to begin the programing process.  Shade visor works fine.  We noticed there is a brown wire coming from the shade motor that appears to go nowhere.  Talking with the MCD tech I was told that the brown wire is powered with the ignition on and that is the safety wire that prevents the shade from coming down while the ignition is on.  Pulled the cover off the corner pillar post since that is where the end of the brown wire was.  I was hoping to fine the other end of the brown wire, but it's not there.  The brown wire looks as though it was cleanly cut. ???  There is a yellow wire that goes nowhere from the visor part and it has a butt splice that was not crimped on the empty side of the barrel, if that makes sense.  There are five wires in a loom coming from the dash up that pillar, all appear to be cleanly cut.  There is a brown wire in the group but no power with the ignition on.  Is it possible that there are two fuses on that shade motor?  One for ignition on, one for ignition off?  There are fuses behind the above dash TV, maybe???  One other thing, the two brown wires are different sizes.  The motor wire is a 18 ga or so, the one from the dash looks to be a 14 ga.  All wires look like they were never stripped or crimped.

Very confusing with a brown and yellow wire, one from each motor that go nowhere, and the yellow wire has a crimped on butt splice only on one side, the empty barrel was not even attempted to be crimped by the looks of things.  Everything has worked with no issue to date.  Thanks,

Woody Miller

09 Dynasty Regal IV

5 hours ago, woodylmiller said:

Front shade will not program with the ignition on.  Ignition off and the shade works.  During programing attempt we are not getting the beeps to begin the programing process.  Shade visor works fine.  We noticed there is a brown wire coming from the shade motor that appears to go nowhere.  Talking with the MCD tech I was told that the brown wire is powered with the ignition on and that is the safety wire that prevents the shade from coming down while the ignition is on.  Pulled the cover off the corner pillar post since that is where the end of the brown wire was.  I was hoping to fine the other end of the brown wire, but it's not there.  The brown wire looks as though it was cleanly cut. ???  There is a yellow wire that goes nowhere from the visor part and it has a butt splice that was not crimped on the empty side of the barrel, if that makes sense.  There are five wires in a loom coming from the dash up that pillar, all appear to be cleanly cut.  There is a brown wire in the group but no power with the ignition on.  Is it possible that there are two fuses on that shade motor?  One for ignition on, one for ignition off?  There are fuses behind the above dash TV, maybe???  One other thing, the two brown wires are different sizes.  The motor wire is a 18 ga or so, the one from the dash looks to be a 14 ga.  All wires look like they were never stripped or crimped.

Very confusing with a brown and yellow wire, one from each motor that go nowhere, and the yellow wire has a crimped on butt splice only on one side, the empty barrel was not even attempted to be crimped by the looks of things.  Everything has worked with no issue to date.  Thanks,

Woody Miller

09 Dynasty Regal IV

Why would you want to program the shade with the ignition on? The brown wire was probably never connected and is used to disable the shade while the vehicle is in motion. 

My understanding is that the reason for two different programs on the front shade is to keep the shade from lowering while driving down the road.  With the ignition on the shade only comes down about 10 inches or so and stops and can't go any lower.  I would hate to be going down the highway and have that front shade start to lower and blocking my view of the road.  The MCD tech said the brown wire was this safety wire, but it sure appears the brown wire was never connected to anything that I can see.  At this point I beginning to think the tech wasn't correct and that I need to talk to another tech and check for a fuse somewhere that my have blown.  Up to this point we always had two programs on that front shade.  One for being parked we could hit the cockpit black out and all shades lower to set limits.  The ignition on program removed this set limit on the front shade and only allowed the shade to lower about 10 inches.  This program has no effect on the green visor shade which you can see through.

Woody Miller

Mine works going down the road or with the ignition off. As the sun comes up or begins to set, you can adjust the shade to keep the sun from our eyes. It would appear that ours is powered through a wire that is continually hot to the switch. 

Jim m

09 Monaco Knight 

Got out my MCD owners manual to double check.  We have the Gold Series with the Duo something or rather.  CRS is kicking in.  Anyway, there it is in picture form; brown wire goes to ignition on and there are two sets of programs.  Once the ignition is on the front shade, not the visor, can not go any further down than 15 inches.  After reviewing the electrical drawings I am no closer to a fix.  I have ordered one of those snake cameras to be able to search around in places I can't see.  This system was working just as described in the owners manual.  We have programmed that shade many times in the past.  Right now we are in the middle of that heat in the pacific northwest.  110 out, this project is on hold for a few days.  Unfortunately the coach is not inside or under shade, we never have this kind of heat being this close to Canada.  So one way or another I'm going to get ignition on power to that brown wire.  If my DW, co-pilot, was ever driving and that rolling computer/house on wheels decided to lower that shade, well let's just say we'd have to throw her underwear away and I'd have a heart attack.  Me, I'd grab that shade and yank it off it's supports and keep going.  LOL.

Woody Miller

PS: There is nothing that would keep us from driving the coach, I can adjust the shade at whatever level I like before we head out.  I just like that safety feature of limiting the downward travel of that shade.