Hydraulic Fan control valve

96 Windsor, C8.3/275hp.

I have a hydraulic fan motor that the regulator is not functioning correctly. When I got the coach it was leaking pretty badly and would cycle fan speed somewhat erratically, but was essentially working other than the leak. (a small puddle where ever I stopped).

I drained the system, the ATF was a little dark but wasn't burned and removed the control valve unit. disassembled it and found one smashed O-ring one machined opening that was empty and another o-ring in good shape. The machined opening appeared to be for a crush washer or similar type seal.

I  replaced the 2 O-rings that were there cleaned the whole unit and reinstalled. the leak stopped but now the regulator works even worse than before. I can find no mfg. name on the unit anywhere and no one at any of the truck places near me that knows anything about them.

Is there anyone on the forum that knows anything about these or a former Roadmaster employee that might have some documentation on this crazy unit? I'm pretty certain it just need the correct set of seals etc and it would be back in business.

I would appreciate any help/knowledge anyone could provide.

Mike

17 hours ago, Testdepth said:

96 Windsor, C8.3/275hp.

I have a hydraulic fan motor that the regulator is not functioning correctly. When I got the coach it was leaking pretty badly and would cycle fan speed somewhat erratically, but was essentially working other than the leak. (a small puddle where ever I stopped).

I drained the system, the ATF was a little dark but wasn't burned and removed the control valve unit. disassembled it and found one smashed O-ring one machined opening that was empty and another o-ring in good shape. The machined opening appeared to be for a crush washer or similar type seal.

I  replaced the 2 O-rings that were there cleaned the whole unit and reinstalled. the leak stopped but now the regulator works even worse than before. I can find no mfg. name on the unit anywhere and no one at any of the truck places near me that knows anything about them.

Is there anyone on the forum that knows anything about these or a former Roadmaster employee that might have some documentation on this crazy unit? I'm pretty certain it just need the correct set of seals etc and it would be back in business.

I would appreciate any help/knowledge anyone could provide.

Mike

Please consider calling Scott as Chuck B has suggested.  

• 1 month later...

I did call Scott and had a nice conversation with him. Based on his comments that the regulator itself is a very low failure item I decided to pull the regulator back off to ensure I hadn’t messed it up. I did and found the main piston apparently had some crud in it that I didn’t find before or was in a hose. I recleaned and assembled with lots of atf and made sure everything was smooth and free. 
The problem appears to be resolved.

• Like 1