2001 diplomat gear drive on slide.

We have a 2001 Diplomat. The slides are gear driven. My back wardrobe slide is a worm gear operated system.  The worm gear is not meshing like it should and its damaging one of the teeth.  Is there a way to tighten up the gears so they mesh better? Here is a picture of the worm gear. The teeth are barely touching. When I  deploy the slide I'm getting a loud snapping noise when a certain tooth jumps a gear. 

20210827_191701.jpg

Those gears do have far to much lash.  Would have been a better design if they had of used dissimilar  materials in the pair since they run dry. Been thinking  about using a lubricant which would not attract dust and grime.  Maybe something used on woodworking tools.

James 

Thank you so much.  Were out till mid October. Got to figure out how to keep it going till then. 

Now I can at least start chasing the gears down.  

I  need to also try to figure out how to get the gears a little closer together.  Just riding on the the edge were they can jump when it gets worn down is not a good thing.  Maybe my machinist friend can help with that.  

Again a big thank you. 

Bob

Ok, so I can't read. Lol

When my wife read it she found the fix that I was working on.  

Edited by Bob Schmeckpeper
Added content.

From your picture I cannot see any type of adjustment.  Unless there are ways to shim the gears or shafts it will be difficult. 

In the link that I provided the gears that were purchased did not have the split pin holes, they had to be drilled.  With proper measurements you might be able to adjust these holes to take up some of tolerance.  I guess one thing that would help is to lubricate on an annual basis, a little grease would go a long way.

Another thought

If the gears have keyways you might be able to install a set screw instead of a split pin.  The set screw would allow you to move the gears to properly align them.  This application is not that severe so I would think a set screw would be sufficient to hold the gears in place.  Coupled with annual inspection and lubrication I think it would work.

• Like 1

Looks like the nylon spacer has worn allowing shaft and gear to back away. Is that a set screw outside the box that u could loosen and move shaft with gear closer?

5 hours ago, Gary Cole said:

That is a good observation Gary. The vertical axis of the top gear is in line with the lower gear indicating that it should be shimmed and not the lower gear. You 've probably seen a few things in your line of work. 🙂

I am an ex machine mechanic for lumber mills. Dealt with many miter gear issues. Also ex cross country truck driver, security guard, jack of all trades and master of none.😜

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gary M said:

Looks like the nylon spacer has worn allowing shaft and gear to back away. Is that a set screw outside the box that u could loosen and move shaft with gear closer?

No set screw, just a pin.

Picked up a washer today, to take up the slack, wouldn't you know it,  its just a tad to thick. Will try a 2 x 4 tomorrow. Till I can get a file or grinder. 

Got to come up with a redneck fix till we get home.