Odometer is way off

Deliberate intent to defraud or mislead is to the best of my experience the crux of the matter regarding statutes. One could reset their odometer to zero every day so long as there was no intent to deceive or mislead, for example, a purchaser, tax agency, or insurance company. Otherwise it would be illegal for an individual to purchase a new speedometer and install it. That day is coming in certain blue states like CA.

Edited by Gary Cole

I have a 1996 Dynasty and had my odometer die. I got a replacement from a salvage yard. It worked but it wasn't giving good readings... a real mile read as 1.3 or so. It took me a while to find out how easy it was to recalibrate it. Sorry, I don't have the steps in hand but it's an easy google search. Just note that the reading is not true whenever you give the odometer reading.

In my 97 Dynasty the odometer and the trip meter are in the same interment. There is a button to switch between them. The trip works great, I have calibrated it a number of times. The odometer on the other hand is extremely lazy. Logs about 1/10th of the miles. Getting ready to head South, I will try and compare the readings.