operation of locking clip on Carefree awning above entry door 2004 HR Scepter

While driving about 65 mph downhill into a 20 mph headwind, my wife noticed the awning above the entry door had rolled out a few inches. This awning has maybe 4' long arms on each side of the door. The awning pull is around 36" long so a decent size awning. mounted to the side of the MH are two clips that the awning arms "snaps" up against. There is a slide block inside the awning arm with two holes and wings that fit into the clips on the side of the MH. My owners manual does not address these clips and I have not had any luck in the past getting info off the Carefree website. Tonight it will not even come up.

I pulled the sliding blocks down, pushed the awning arms against the clip and was able to get one of the blocks to slide up. appeared to be a position mismatch and could not get the second block up. Used side cutters to bevel the upper corners off the wings of the block and lubed the slides and I can push the clips up and "lock" the arms to the side. I am wondering if the blocks should be unlocked to roll out and locked to store by physically moving up and down or will they self lock/unlock when the awning is rolled out or up? not wanting to slam the the blocks and break the clips. what do others do? slow internet and can not upload pic at this time

• 2 months later...

Update to my question. The bracket on the side of the motorhome appears to be an aluminum extrusion and has NO give. The slide within the awning frame with the holes and flanges must be  slid into the fixed bracket to hold the awning frame in place when traveling. 

1662193851_HRSentryawninglockslide.thumb.JPG.780f95a783d948d2c8ddf27b3b7e688e.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same type door awning on my 2005 Windsor.  Rolls out maybe 3 ft.  When i purchased it the PO said,  yes it works but it's a real pain to deal with and doesn't really help much.  I insisted on seeing it operate so we unrolled it and checked everything.  Well, he was correct it is a pain to close.  Those sliding locks are a sleeping bear,  but we got it closed and locked.  I didn't try to use it for 3-4 years-then my memory slipped, it was a warm day with scattered sprinkles and i thought maybe it'd be a good time to use it,  until i tried to lock it again.  Make sure you press the arms close to the coach in just the right spot, use the awning rod to shove one up into the locked position.  Then wiggle-push-pull-twist- say words your momma wouldn't be proud of until you can get the second slide up into the locked position.  After this second reminder lesson I haven't even tried to use it again.  The coverage is so small that it really doesn't keep the rain off the door or step so you get wet away.  

Choose to have a fantastic day!!

John

PS. when the snow/ice stops here in central Va, we're heading to Florida.  See everyone at The Gathering.