Starter Won't Engage

bandmmorris

I changed the batteries in my 2007 Monaco Camelot 42PDQ and now the starter will not engage. Here is what I have found so far. If I jumper the small wire on the starter solenoid the engine will turn over, but not start. When the start position is engaged there is no voltage at this terminal. Most of the dash lights come on, but not the "Wait to Start" or the pushbuttons for the Allison transmission shift selections. The fuel gauge does not operate either. Have checked all the fuses I can find and all appear good. Ignition relays "click" when key is turned on. I don't think it is an ignition switch problem. Kind of ran out of everything I can think of to try so any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Recheck all the terminals to the batteries. Make sure something did not get overlooked after reconnecting terminals. Cables sometimes get lost when disconnecting. It is always a good idea to photograph all connections before removing any cables to assure they get back where they came from. Hope this helps.

Guest Ray Davis

Sounds like you may have left off one of the small wires at the + post for the chassis batteries.   Did you take a picture first?

Battery voltages are good and when I jumper the starter solenoid engine turns over good.

1 minute ago, Ray Davis said:

Sounds like you may have left off one of the small wires at the + post for the chassis batteries.   Did you take a picture first?

Wiring matches my wiring diagram. Only cables are main positive and negative cables, charging wire to the chassis and coach battery banks and small ground wire from the charge controller. The starter solenoid has voltage on one of the main terminals which has to be coming from the battery. When I jumper the starting solenoid the engine turns over as the other terminal then has voltage. Just not getting voltage to the small wire on the solenoid when I turn the key to start.

Guest Ray Davis

Similar problems have shown up on here many times over the yrs and usually a smaller wire was found to have been left off or was broken at the batteries.

Each coach may be a little different but all of the later model ( electronic engines ) have constant power to the engine and transmission computers for their memory.                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

Since the problem presented it's self after the batteries were changed the most likely place is right there at the batteries or very close by.   Dig around the batteries with a strong light and hopefully you'll locate a wire.   There is an inline fuse somewhere along there too,  you might look for it as well.   The transmission shift panel not lighting up points in that same direction also.  That shift panel and trans ecm must have power for the engine to start.

Now if you worked in other areas too you might have introduced a problem there.  Go back to square one and check connections.

Edited by Ray Davis

9 hours ago, Ray Davis said:

Similar problems have shown up on here many times over the yrs and usually a smaller wire was found to have been left off or was broken at the batteries.

Each coach may be a little different but all of the later model ( electronic engines ) have constant power to the engine and transmission computers for their memory.                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

Since the problem presented it's self after the batteries were changed the most likely place is right there at the batteries or very close by.   Dig around the batteries with a strong light and hopefully you'll locate a wire.   There is an inline fuse somewhere along there too,  you might look for it as well.   The transmission shift panel not lighting up points in that same direction also.  That shift panel and trans ecm must have power for the engine to start.

Now if you worked in other areas too you might have introduced a problem there.  Go back to square one and check connections.

I have checked the wiring multiple times and believe it to be correct. There are 3 wires on the chassis batteries, 1 large red cable to positive terminal, 1 large black cable to negative terminal and smaller red wire to positive terminal with inline fuse that goes to the battery combiner. Would appreciate if anyone with a Monaco Camelot around 2007 vintage check and let me know if theirs is wired the same. The battery area is the only place I worked in.

13 hours ago, Trinidaddave said:

I think my first check would be getting my meter out and checking battery voltage.  You might as well start at the source.

Battery voltages are good, around 13.3 volts.

10 hours ago, Ray Davis said:

I have checked the wiring multiple times and believe it to be correct. There are 3 wires on the chassis batteries, 1 large red cable to positive terminal, 1 large black cable to negative terminal and smaller red wire to positive terminal with inline fuse that goes to the battery combiner. Would appreciate if anyone with a Monaco Camelot around 2007 vintage check and let me know if theirs is wired the same.

Made a little progress. In the rear run electrical compartment I noticed 4 small enclosures that when you take them apart there are fuses inside. One had 2 - 30 amp fuses that were blown. I replaced them and now when I jumper the starter solenoid with the key on the engine will start and run fine, but the starter solenoid will not engage from the switch. I have transmission and check engine lights on and the transmission shift buttons still do not light up. Must have shorted a cable when installing the new batteries.

I wish my 42pdq was here so I could look but it's still at the shop. Racking my brain I remember no small wires attached to any batteries, only the bts from the house batteries which doesn't matter here.

I also don't remember any small enclosures with fuses inside my rear elec bay.

Does your rear bay look like this?

865787687_rearelecbay.jpg.4231fe999ef661c7d0a506e75357eb3c.jpg

37 minutes ago, bandmmorris said:

My rear bay is somewhat different. Yours does not seem to have the small enclosures with fuses that mine does. Mine also has battery disconnects (for chassis and coach) and some other items.

Amazing how we have 2 coaches, same year, same model, yet different.

Mid year changes I guess.

Guest Ray Davis

These things can run you crazy.   I should have elaborated a little,  many coaches have those small wires connecting directly to the battery, others may connect a little farther from the batteries.   They should still be connected somewhere so they will have 12v constantly,  as I stated this is for the ECMs memory.  However 12v is also necessary from the key to both ECMs to be able to start and drive the RV.  I am not familiar with the 4 enclosures with the blown fuses,  that may be the feed from the    batteries.

BTW do you have a remote start switch in the engine compartment?   I don't think it being in the wrong position will cause all the things you mentioned but it will keep you from being able to start.

Just found the problem. In addition to the 2 "hidden" 30 amp fuses in the rear run panel that were blown I found an Allison box in the front electrical panel. Took the screws out of it and removed the cover and found several relays and one 10 amp fuse. Fuse was blown. Replaced it and all is good now. Thanks for everyone for their suggestions.

Guest Ray Davis
39 minutes ago, bandmmorris said:

Just found the problem. In addition to the 2 "hidden" 30 amp fuses in the rear run panel that were blown I found an Allison box in the front electrical panel. Took the screws out of it and removed the cover and found several relays and one 10 amp fuse. Fuse was blown. Replaced it and all is good now. Thanks for everyone for their suggestions.

That's great,  thanks for letting us know.  I learned something,  I didn't know there was a fuse in there.

Any idea what caused the fuses to blow?

How did you end up with 2 threads?

Edited by Ray Davis