Dometic vs Norcold

cbr046

Dometic vs Norcold, diesel vs gas, Ford vs Chevy . . . .

I have a lead on a 1 year old Dometic 4 door fridge.  Specs say it's 1" wider and 3" deeper.  Height is the same.  It looks like I have 26" of depth and Dometic is looking for 27".  Total depth with handles is 29".  I really don't want it sticking out any more than necessary, but there's significant savings if it checks out ok. 

There's a kitchen wall on one side, bathroom wall on the other side but until I remove the Norcold I don't know how much "extra" I've got (if any).  I'm hoping I can trim 1/2" on each side.

Oh yeah, burner and flue are on the opposite side in the back, so would need to swap power outlets to the other side and re-align the propane supply line. 

Has anyone done this swap?

- bob

Having spent war too much money on a NoCold 1200, no way would I put one in as the coils are the same size as the smaller 9 cuft units. I finally replaced mine with a 31cuft Whirlpool resulting in the best mod EVER!! Don’t know enough about a Dometic but it can’t be worse than a 1200. Good luck.
Yes, you can lay them on their sides… turning a 1200 upside down was one repair method although tapping on the coils did the same thing. The roof vent is 3’ long so I doubt it makes any difference which side the flue is on.

From trunk to moho.  Hardest part was finding someone to help me lift the Dometic out of the SUV, lift the Norcold out the door (could slide it onto a dolly) and lift the Dometic into the moho and back onto the dolly.  I did have to remove both front seats and unhinge the door.  Still, it was a beast that didn't go quietly.  The Dometic was EXACTLY the same size (H-W-D) as the Norcold . . . ok, maybe an inch deeper into the hole.

I will say, the Dometic feels cheap.  Light weight doors, lots of plastic, door panels are paper thin inserts.  *BUT* for half the price of a JC Refrigeration (Amish) replacement coil I'm optimistic it'll do the job for years to come.

- bob

42157580_DometicFridge1.thumb.jpg.19d74847c4236735a0f34a9c209da7ee.jpg

I would have gone residential if I could have gotten one to fit.  Sure, a small apartment size would fit but that would look cheesy.

- bob