Rear Bed Slide Won't Retract

Dale N

My bed slide extends but will not retract.  Needed to disengage mechanism to crank slide in.  Have not had time to check motor but it will only actuate to extend.  The switch is good and contacts work both ways.  Have not had the problem before.   Will check fuses in the morning but not sure where it might be.  12V fuses in bedroom are the first possibility.

Don't know if there is a relay that might not be actuating.   Looking for any suggestions or directions.

03 HR Monaco Neptune 36PBD with ISB300

Dale Noel

If it will extend but not retract then everything is working in the extend direction which almost eliminates a mechanical problem. My guess is that the same wires are used to the motor for both extend and retract so that makes a wiring problem doubtful. How do you know the contacts on the switch work both ways? The most likely problem is the switch because that gets cycled often. Another possibility is a relay on the slide control board. To reverse the slide the polarity to the motor is reversed. In other words the motor leads are + - or -+. The first thing I would do is swap the switch for the slide with a switch for one of the other slides. The task should not be difficult and if the problem moves to the other slide then you have your answer. If the problem remains with the bedroom slide then you have verified that the switch is not faulty. The next place to look is the control board. On our coach the control board is inside the large plastic box in the battery compartment. Unfortunately swamping parts and connectors on that board may be difficult. I believe the relays are soldered in.  The board should look like the one in the picture below.

image.png.79deca982a905fb285c0e48b5509601a.png

Edited by Bob Nodine
  • Thanks 2

Bob,  Thanks for the suggestions.  I did swap the wires and switches for both slides and the result was the same. 

I'll look for the one board and see if it is in the battery compartment.  Right now we are home and safe so there is no hurry.  Also only 38'F so not too much in a hurry.

I'll get to this in a day or so and let you know.  I also want to empty under the bed to make sure all is connected better there.  Will post photos of the motor connections when I get there.

This has sat for 5 months while in FL and would not close when we tried to leave. 

03 HR Monaco Neptune 36PBD with ISB300

Dale Noel

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE:  I don't need this fixed until late June so was not willing to work in the cold.  Michigan is still locked down and just warming up.

Checked switch by moving wires for rear slide to front switch and same for other switch.  Everything worked as it did the other way.  Since nothing changed I assume the switch is alright.   Then purchased a spare 87a relay, $6.14 at Advanced Auto,  and one by one put it in the four positions on the existing panel board.  Nothing changed with each position.  One of the relays' has text of 'ignition dis-engge'  Does anyone have any other suggestions or how to check the motor. 

I am not sure if the motor reverses or if there is a clutch some where that is not engaging.

Thank you for the help so far and I'm sure we can solve this.

IMG_0541.jpg

• Thanks 1

Further details on bed slide.  The assembly was a Dewald DN14666 with a Power Gear motor 522791.  After talking to Lippert, who bought Power Gear who bought Dewald, the assembly is obsolete and does not have a replacement. 

Then talked to a local motor rebuilder and there are no parts available so he said he will check the motor out and repair if necessary.

Also hae a call into Bontrager's in White Pigeon, MI for a possible part.  They are only dealing with emails.

I hope the motor is alright and there is another relay that could be the problem.  All fuses known have been checked.

I don't know if this is relevant or not but our front slide Had no power to retract. My nephew who was replacing the floor and  slide seals for us went into the front panel where the slide switch is and 'borrowed" the power from the water pump switch beside it. That solved the problem. 

My question, totally irrevelent : why is there even a switch for the water pump in there when there is not in the bathroom of our 2002 Monaco Windsor 40' PWD.

Another side note: replacing the seals would not have solved our water leak around seals. We had to adjust the slide in the hole to accomplish a water tight sealing. This was the 2nd  floor replacement from original because of water damage- the seals never had aligned. Now the swoosh design doesn't align BUT WE HAVE NO LEAKS WHEN IT RAINS WHILE GOING DOWN THE ROAD!

• Like 1

On 4/29/2020 at 8:27 AM, Dale N said:

Further details on bed slide.  The assembly was a Dewald DN14666 with a Power Gear motor 522791.  After talking to Lippert, who bought Power Gear who bought Dewald, the assembly is obsolete and does not have a replacement. 

Then talked to a local motor rebuilder and there are no parts available so he said he will check the motor out and repair if necessary.

Also hae a call into Bontrager's in White Pigeon, MI for a possible part.  They are only dealing with emails.

I hope the motor is alright and there is another relay that could be the problem.  All fuses known have been checked.

A google search for “power gear slide motors” shows that the motors are still available, but pricey.  It also confirms my memory that there are only two wires fir the motor and gear box assembly.  Unless there is some weird internal problem in the assembly that jams in reverse, your motor is fine and your problem is in the control circuity.

dick L ‘04 Imperial. 

1 hour ago, rcl285 said:

A google search for “power gear slide motors” shows that the motors are still available, but pricey.  It also confirms my memory that there are only two wires fir the motor and gear box assembly.  Unless there is some weird internal problem in the assembly that jams in reverse, your motor is fine and your problem is in the control circuity.

dick L ‘04 Imperial. 

I was getting upset with myself in that some things did not make sense.  Then, took the plug off the motor and jury rigged wires to cross these connections and the slide will then go in but not extend.  Somewhere else there is a problem and I'm slowly trying to find it. m

Thanks everyone for the help so far and I'll keep looking and post what I find.  I did order a $4 switch and will start with that replacement.

Dale 03 Neptune

On 4/30/2020 at 3:02 PM, Dale N said:

I was getting upset with myself in that some things did not make sense.  Then, took the plug off the motor and jury rigged wires to cross these connections and the slide will then go in but not extend.  Somewhere else there is a problem and I'm slowly trying to find it. m

Thanks everyone for the help so far and I'll keep looking and post what I find.  I did order a $4 switch and will start with that replacement.

Dale 03 Neptune

Your motor is not bad. For some reason you are not reversing the polarity to the motor when you change direction on the switch. The same two wires should be used for the motor from the control board to the motor. I would repeat your test by unplugging the motor from the control board and making sure that the motor will run in both directions by switching the polarity at the connector removed from the control board. From the photo of your control board it looks like all the motors from all the slides are connected thru a single connector. There must be a junction somewhere that routes the wires from each slide motor to a single cable and a single connector. I would trace back from the single connector on the control board and try to locate that. The relays on the board look like a generic version of Bosch 87A 12 volt automotive relays. You did swap them around to see if you could move the problem, did you not? If you did not then that is the first thing to do. The switch and the relay are the mostly likely item to be failed. I know you swapped the switches around and the problem stayed with the same slide. Swap the relays around and see if the problem will move to another slide.

Edited by Bob Nodine
  • Thanks 1

On 4/30/2020 at 3:02 PM, Dale N said:

Dale 03 Neptune

Dale,

Here is a way to build a homemade slide control for the single slide that you are having trouble with. This could get you by until you can repair the problem. You would not have to locate this inside the motorhome but could locate it in the most convenient bay. Of course you would have to go outside to open or close the slide.

First you would have to remove the two motor wires for the slide in question from the control board. A good approach would be to trace the wires back to a good location and cut them. Tape up the ends coming from the control board and tie them up. When the control board is repaired you could re-connect the motor to the control board with butt splices.  Use  wire as large as the motor wires to build the homemade control. I would guess 14 or 12 gauge stranded wire. Follow the diagram I have crudely made (sorry for the poor quality). I would locate the 25 amp auto resetting circuit breaker close to the battery but the rest of the circuit could be in another compartment. You need to purchase a plastic box or suitable housing or you could fabricate an angle bracket to mount the switch on a wall. Below are links to two possible choices for the switch. You make the choice which you prefer. Also find a link to the 25 amp auto reset circuit breaker.

https://tinyurl.com/y7d3m9rf

https://tinyurl.com/y72j693z

https://tinyurl.com/y9b9axoy 

Homemade slide control.jpg

Edited by Bob Nodine

Looking at your control board pic, I would suspect issues with the printed circuit board might be the problem .  I had issues with a smart wheel on a friends Diplomat and nothing made sense.  All operations were erratic.  Had been to three different techs over time with no success.  Opened the front run bay and saw that someone had removed wiring or such from the bay and left it open to the wheel so road debris had entered the bay.  Pulled the printed circuit board off the wall and  the back of the board was coated with road film.  Cleaned it up with dielectric spray and all issues disappeared.  There must have been cross talking going on between circuits.  

• 3 weeks later...

The update that was promised won't give a solution. 

FIRST:  The slide works as it should

Here is what was done.

1. Double checked the switch,
  2. reversed the wires,
  3. swapped wires with the other slide,
  4. put in a different switch.
  5. No change, only out but not back in.
  1. Reversed wires at the motor and found the motor will work both directions and eliminated the motor
  2. Bought a 87a relay and tried it in all of the positions one at a time and did not change malfunction
  3. Removed circuit board and cleaned like Bluetoad7 suggested with no change.
  4. Tried the relay swap again and no change
  5. Traced the wires from the motor to the circuit board. 
  6. Built the Bypass control per Bob Nodine but had not installed.
  7. Ordered 2 more 87a relays since they are cheap and was going to put in tomorrow.

Went out to try the switch again and it works.  Only possibility was moving all things around made a connection. 

Pretty much like the DW saying something is broke and when I try it the thing works.

I am going to keep all parts as spares and spray circuit board with dielectric I use on RC boats to keep water off.

Thank you everyone for the help.  I learned a lot but solved nothing.  Time well spent and glad for the education.

Still don't need it until July as Michigan is locked down.

Dale N  03 Neptune

Now I start over.  It worked yesterday when the humidity was high.  Today after the rain it again is not working.  Now to weather proof all connections since I know they work but the weather has an effect.

Dale 03Neptune