cleaning a DPF

To completely cleaned the DPF must be baked at a very high temperature and then cleaned.

We installed dozens of DPF systems on underground mine equipment back in 2006/7 when the safety standards changed and we had to me certain thresholds for air quality.  The install also included monitoring equipment that tracked back pressure and performance on the DPF, as the back pressure built the engine performance would suffer.  We ended up stocking spare filters and replace when the performance of the system failed.  We'd take the old DPF to a central warehouse where we had purchased and set up special equipment including a large high temp oven and then a special machine that we'd mount the filter on and it would vibrate it at high speed and have an air nozzle pushing high pressure air through the catalytic converter ( all in a air tight chamber so the soot wouldn't contaminate the whole area). 

We had some equipment that the DPF systems did not work, they engines were never worked hard enough to generate the heat required for the soot to burn off.  I would  consider an DP to be this type of application, you may think you are running your rig hard but in reality it is a light duty application and not really suited for unless they've installed the regeneration systems which basically inject fuel into it to reach the really high temps. 

You might check for a local shop that can clean the DPF. 

• Like 1

Nowe adays there is a better alternitive for cleaning and keeping clean the DPF. Go to Pittsburg Power -  https://pittsburghpower.com/pages/dpf-alternatives

and look at the diesel clean process they have. They can clean the DPF without taking them off most of the time. I have actually used there products. I worked for a Kubota dealer and we got one of the machines with the cheical they use and it works great. You can read all about it in the link above. Also (and I use this on every deisel I have. (2009 Ram 3500 6.7 cummins and a 2011 Holiday Rambler with a maxcxforce engine) they sell a procuct called MaxMileage that goes in your fuel. It will keep it clean after you clean the DPF as you drive. It will cut down the re-gens and if you use DEF it will cut down the amount you use. It works great. If you call thm they can reall inform and educate you on how to clean it and why you have a lot less problems with the system. I have no skin in the game It's just that I use it and just works.

https://pittsburghpower.com/pages/max-mileage

Hope that helps.

Mine plugged up two years ago. Was towed to my destination and limped into the RV park. Got a local mechanic to remove and take it to a shop to clean and bake then reassemble. $1500

4 hours ago, bradc344 said:

gary m how many mile before it plugged

Well it plugged at 36k. But I think maybe two previous owners may have either idled too much or drove too many back streets. Not really sure. I bought it with 29.5k in 03-2017 and now am at 58.5k.

My experience regarding the DPF systems was with an industrial application,  underground mining.  What we found that running the equipment hard was actually beneficial for keeping the DPF's clean.   The equipment that didn't get run hard suffered.  Trucks and loaders that were run hard of the gate all day long did well.  Support equipment like utility rigs didn't do so well.  So ultimately we had to pick and choose which equipment we installed the systems on.  Our overall goal was to meet air quality standards for the mine and working areas by increasing air volume for ventilation and reducing the particulate matter.  Over a longer period of time we abandoned the equipment that couldn't meet standards but this took time. 

So in an RV application, if you have the early versions of DPF's I'd recommend pushing the engine hard as often as you can.   These engines are made to run, the harder the better. 

• Like 2