BlueFire 6 and 9 pin

BradHend

Am thinking about buying the BlueFire adaptor for my coach, and was hoping someone on here may be able to verify a question I have.  My coach has a 9 pin diagnostic port in the rear engine bay, and a six pin port in the front cab.  The question is, will there be less information available via the 6 pin port, and should I be purchasing the 9 pin extension cable and bring it all the way up front.  
Thanks,

You need to determine what protocol your powertrain supports.  J1708 or J1939.  J1939 is newer RVs and uses 9 pins.  On the 9 Pins J1708 might also be there.  The 6 pin is J1708 (older RVs).  Yours likely is the newer, but you should check by sending your VIN or engine serial number to the engine manufacturer.

I would contact the Bluefire owner,  he is really good about geting you are the information you need. I had a similar question and I didnt understand his response but he did dummy it down for me to understand.

It's not just about the number of PINS...its the protocol that is just as important.  A pin adapter doesn't change the protocol.

Kinda like you can talk to someone via two cans and a string or a cell phone or a speakerphone.  but if you speak English and the other Italian...you still will have trouble conversing.

From Mark @ BlueFire:

“Hi Brad,

Since you don’t have a 9-pin adapter in the cab I’m guessing that you just have J1708 in which case it won’t make a difference which port you use.

However if the 9-pin port in the engine bay has 6 pins then that port is using J1939 and J1708 and may be better. You can tell by plugging in the adapter into the 9-pin port, check the App Setting ‘Connect to the J1939 Data Bus’ and then see what data you’re getting on the Drive and Repair pages.”

I will see what the outcome is when it shows up.  Also, Peter - I found the company that custom makes the cables to your spec using the Deutsch connectors.  Just have to give them the spec on the pin arrangements. 45’ was not a problem for them, so if the rear 9 pin Connector is indeed better, looks like I’ll be buying and routing it throughout the chassis.  

www.yasoncable.com