Towable

sg47619

I’m going to tow my 06 wrangler X manual transmission behind my 01 Monaco Dynasty. How do you set it up too follow the coach when turning ?     

Thanks p, I have the tow bar mounted to the Jeep, just didn’t know if I need something for the steering wheel 

When I bought my rig it was already setup with an quick connect for air.  I decided to go with the Brakemaster 9160  https://www.roadmasterinc.com/products/braking/brakemaster/brake_m.php

Pretty straightforward to install and once in taking the pneumatic cylinder in and out.   Works great.

I know others recommend others including the Airforce 1 type but I didn't see anyway installing one of those in my Jeep with the Hemi, no room in front of the master cylinder. 

5 hours ago, GNRACN said:

What are you using for a brake system?

With My 38 foot, 350 Cummins I didn’t think I’d need a brake on the 06 wrangler X. 

How does everyone wire there tow vehicle, I thought I could back feed it to the jeeps rear hitch but that didn’t work. 

I completely bypassed my Jeeps wiring and ran a harness front to back and installed separate light bulbs on each side for turn signal and running light.  With the Brakemaster that pushes the brake pedal the brake lights come on whenever you are braking. 

I did not bother with a charge wire so if traveling extended distances every other day I'll start the Jeep and let it run for a while.  While I'm doing this I'll take the time to wash my windshield. 

Auxiliary braking is required in a lot of states if the weight exceeds pretty low weight limit so it's better to be safe then sorry from a liability basis. 

My Jeep is ~5000lbs, every little bit helps if you are in a panic stop.  One thing I've found is that with the braking system I need to keep my eye on my Jeeps brakes, they definitely wear out faster but IMHO that's a good thing, it shows my system is working.

Edited by jacwjames

24 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

I completely bypassed my Jeeps wiring and ran a harness front to back and installed separate light bulbs on each side for turn signal and running light.  With the Brakemaster that pushes the brake pedal the brake lights come on whenever you are braking. 

I did not bother with a charge wire so if traveling extended distances every other day I'll start the Jeep and let it run for a while.  While I'm doing this I'll take the time to wash my windshield. 

Auxiliary braking is required in a lot of states if the weight exceeds pretty low weight limit so it's better to be safe then sorry from a liability basis. 

My Jeep is ~5000lbs, every little bit helps if you are in a panic stop.  One thing I've found is that with the braking system I need to keep my eye on my Jeeps brakes, they definitely wear out faster but IMHO that's a good thing, it shows my system is working.

Thanks for the info. I did receive the roadmaster braking system when I bought the coach but I’m not sure it even works 

20 minutes ago, sg47619 said:

Thanks for the info. I did receive the roadmaster braking system when I bought the coach but I’m not sure it even works 

Just put some air to the cylinder and if it goes out it works.  Pretty simple design. 

If you decide to use you will need a base plate it the front seat that it will attach to, and you will have to plumb in the air line. 

I decided to go with the system that included the break away option, this is basically a small air tank that is mounted somewhere in the coach.  There is an electric disconnect switch that releases the air if the tow vehicle breaks away from the motorhome.  This part is not required for the Brakemaster to work but it adds another layer of safety if something happens. 

1 hour ago, jacwjames said:

Just put some air to the cylinder and if it goes out it works.  Pretty simple design. 

If you decide to use you will need a base plate it the front seat that it will attach to, and you will have to plumb in the air line. 

I decided to go with the system that included the break away option, this is basically a small air tank that is mounted somewhere in the coach.  There is an electric disconnect switch that releases the air if the tow vehicle breaks away from the motorhome.  This part is not required for the Brakemaster to work but it adds another layer of safety if something happens. 

Ok. Thanks. 

I too have this system. The EMS or break-away tank has to be mounted in or on the towed vehicle. I went a couple steps farther and added a air regulater to the air cylinder to avoid locking up the toads tires after installing brake pressure gauge in the coach and seeing 60 to 90# brake apply pressure in coach. I set the max pressure in toad to 40#.

I also tapped into GC brake light switch wire to a small LED light mounted with vel-cro to wind shield to verify brakes are applying. Toggle switch under dash. Have about 40,000 towed miles on this application, it has worked flawless. 

I thought that I read where there are only 2 or 3 states that don"t require brakes with break-away feature including Canada on towed vehicle!

6 hours ago, GNRACN said:

I too have this system. The EMS or break-away tank has to be mounted in or on the towed vehicle. I went a couple steps farther and added a air regulater to the air cylinder to avoid locking up the toads tires after installing brake pressure gauge in the coach and seeing 60 to 90# brake apply pressure in coach. I set the max pressure in toad to 40#.

I also tapped into GC brake light switch wire to a small LED light mounted with vel-cro to wind shield to verify brakes are applying. Toggle switch under dash. Have about 40,000 towed miles on this application, it has worked flawless. 

I thought that I read where there are only 2 or 3 states that don"t require brakes with break-away feature including Canada on towed vehicle!

Ok thanks for the info