Basement Door Hinge Rusted Out.

Greetings all, I am in need of your experience and expertise.  On my 2003 Diplomat, I noticed the hinge covering the LP tank on passenger side has rusted out and is now being held by the door lock on the bottom of the door.  The hinge itself is rusted away from how it was connected to the RV body.  Looks as if time, water and use has caused this issue.

Does anyone have a recommendation for repairing or a vendor who can make the repair.  I am currently located in South Carolina.

Darryl

Edited by dkelly

• 1 year later...

Question...is the top of that piano hinge, the part that attaches to the coach, do the screws go into the aluminum frame of the coach?  Or into wood of some kind?  I have two screws on the driver side rear basement door  that rusted off and I need to reattach!

The piano hinge is aluminum.. but it is attached with what appear to be steel phillips head screws... which rusted in rain I assume.... my bigger question is regarding how those are attached.  Are they attached through the exterior wall and into the aluminum wall framing of the coach..or just into wood/fiberglass?

I answered my question tonight.  Yes this hinge is attached to the coach at the steel frame.  So where the old screws had rusted out (after 20 years) I was able to drill new pilot holes and attach with new stainless steel screws.

• Like 1

Guest Ray Davis
12 hours ago, malcoll said:

I answered my question tonight.  Yes this hinge is attached to the coach at the steel frame.  So where the old screws had rusted out (after 20 years) I was able to drill new pilot holes and attach with new stainless steel screws.

The only thing I might add is that 02 Windsors and back have steel inside the walls, but 03 Windsors and up have aluminum inside the walls.