Monaco Monarch wanted 30ft

ByronW

Looking for a used Monaco Monarch 30ft. Prefer Workhorse Engine. prefer 2006 or newer. While on the subject any opinions of Workhorse chassis vs Ford. Have heard more complaints on Fords and my present Motorhome has a Workhorse and happy with it.

Also any body know why I cant find a brochure with the 30 ft on the monaco site

On the subject of Workhorse vs. Ford I'll have to admit I've always been a GM guy and I've never owned  Ford powered motorhome. We have had a 2003 Monaco Monarch for the last five years and have traveled about 50,000 miles in that time. I am very pleased with the reliability of the Workhorse. Other than routine maintenance the only power train repair was a fan clutch. I have done some extensive upgrades to the chassis for improved handling and drivability but all the experts seem to agree that is needed on all gas motorhomes no matter the age or brand. Aside from the many other advantages of a diesel chassis I believe that the gas power train is actually lower maintenance than diesel and I am a retired mechanic and I've worked on both.

I hope this is helpful info. Good luck with your search.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2022 at 6:20 PM, ByronW said:

Looking for a used Monaco Monarch 30ft. Prefer Workhorse Engine. prefer 2006 or newer. While on the subject any opinions of Workhorse chassis vs Ford. Have heard more complaints on Fords and my present Motorhome has a Workhorse and happy with it.

Also any body know why I cant find a brochure with the 30 ft on the monaco site

I had a WH 2006 Winnie Adventurer with the big GM mill.  Never had any issues with driveline or such.  There were two WH Gremlins that drove me bonkers. One was the WH instrument cluster.  It as made by a company that briefly provided tge 07 Dynasty cluster.  The brand name is ACTIA.  The Dynasty one has the pressure transducers soldered onto the main brain or printed circuit board for the air pressure.  They are a fatal flaw and start to leak or fail.  ACTIA no longer makes them and has no help,  folks are left to their own.  

ACTIA made the plagued WH cluster.  There was a recall…and mine was fixed by WH and it still gave problems.  The ignition would shut off erratically when you were driving.  Usually restarted, after you panicked and pulled over.  If you Google WH Instrument Repairs, you get more links to 25 different shops.  NOW THEY TELL ME.

The second thing was the Parking Brake switch or a flaw or bug in the circuit.  It had the “headlights on” or running lights on during daylight.  But the signal for that was wired through the parking brake ON/OFF switch.  Riding down the highway, the BRAKE WARNING light would come on,  Then a very irritating chime,  That was supposed to tell you that YOU GOT THE PARKING BRAKE ON DUMMY.  NOPE….never touched it.  I thought it was a low brake fluid light…filled the reservoir.  NOPE.  Called WH….no joy.  Finally realized…hit a bump above 60….on come the light.  Hit another one….off it goes.  I drove VERY slow, once it was off or “normal”.  I setting and unsettling the pull type auto brake release.. NO JOY.  I was picking up the Camelot.  I left the next purchaser a sticky note in the manual about WH’s suggestion that I have a dealer trouble shoot the brake ON/OFF circuit.  About a month later the salesman called me. Did I know about the issue….and what did my note mean.  Yes.  I documented it.  Drive slower….

• Like 1